Bad Dream Baby

❥Pairing: Hanzo Hasashi/Kuai Liang
❥Word Count: 3957 Words
❥Rating: Mature
❥Warnings: Canon Divergent, Hanzo doesn’t die AU, Dreamwalking, Dreamwalker!Kuai Liang, Nightmares, graphic description of violence, Shirai Ryu Massacre, Murder, Murder of a child (non-graphic, but it does happen), Death, Corpses, Bodily injuries, Brief mention of infection, Ambiguous at times as to what is reality and what’s a dream
❥Prompt: Bad Dream Baby - September 87

Mirror Links

AO3Tumblr

Hanzo fought past hordes of Lin Kuei warriors, slicing through waves of them. He couldn't stop, not until he'd made it to Harumi and Satoshi. He was covered in blood and guts, and yet they just didn't stop coming. They were prepared to die if it meant delaying Hanzo from reaching his family in time.

Still he pushed on, striking down warrior after warrior. In the distance he spotted Harumi, Satoshi curled into her arms as she was backed into a corner by Sub Zero, sword of ice summoned as means to strike her down.

"No!" He cried, watching as Sub Zero trust the sword forward. Harumi fell to the floor.

When Hanzo finally got to her, he could see he was too late. Both his wife and son were already dead. He cried out in anguish, tears of despair and rage rolling down his cheeks. He looked up to where Sub Zero stood, smugly looking over him. Sub Zero raised the ice sword, preparing to strike Hanzo down. Hanzo tried to will himself to do something, anything, but all he found he could do was stare at his hands and wait for the end.

A cold hand reached to grab his.

He gasped, and looked to his side, a blue eyed man with short hair stared back at him.

"Run," the man whispered, pulling on Hanzo's hand and forcing him to his feet. Hanzo had no chance to do anything before being dragged away, narrowly being missed by Bi-Han's sword.

Hanzo could do little more than pick up the pace so not to trip. He looked to the man before him, clad in blue armour, still clinging to his hand. Hanzo squinted as the light around them seemed to grow brighter. The man looked over his shoulder and smiled.

"My name is Kuai Liang."

Hanzo woke up with a start.

He looked around. He was in the bed he'd been given after he fled to the sky temple. He blinked, utterly confused. Had that been a memory or a dream? It had been a year since the massacre of the Shirai Ryu. He could have sworn he'd run away alone, narrowly avoiding his death. He didn't remember anyone else there, especially not someone named Kuai Liang. It didn't hurt to check, he supposed.

He got out of bed and made his way through his temporary home. He had been lucky that Lord Raiden had accepted his plea for asylum. It was under the condition that Hanzo would fight for Earthrealm at the next Mortal Kombat tournament, but that was a small price to pay. Passing monks through the halls, he wished them a good morning, asking if any had seen Lord Raiden. All answers were the same, check the main hall.

He entered, finding Lord Raiden sat meditating in front of a alter. He hesitated as to if he should disturb him or wait until later, but Raiden finally spoke up, "Do you need something, Hanzo?"

"I apologise for disturbing you, Lord Raiden but..." He paused, trying to find the least weird way to ask his question. "This may seem like a strange question, but, when i arrived here, I was on my own, correct?"

"That is correct," Raiden confirmed.

"And, I have never mentioned that there was anyone with me? That anyone saved me from the Lin Kuei?"

"No?" Raiden turned around where he was sitting to be able to look at Hanzo. "Is something wrong?"

"No, no. I just had a strange dream and it's confused me, is all." Hanzo shook his head. Just a strange dream. "I just wished to make sure I wasn't remembering things wrong. Thank you, Lord Raiden."

Hanzo bowed and Raiden bowed his head in return, before Hanzo excused himself.

The rest of the day went by without incident, although Hanzo occasionally thought back to that strange man he met in his dream. Day turned to afternoon, and then to evening, and finally the night returned and Hanzo was back within his bed, drifting off to sleep.

He stood in the ruins of the Fire Garden. Corpses lay strewn around the place. Harumi. Satoshi. He took a step towards where he knew their bodies would be. His arm caught on something, stopping him. He went to see what it was, only to find himself looking at those same blue eyes from the night before.

"I would advise against that," the man spoke softly. What was his name? Kuai Liang? "You will find their bodies, and Sub Zero will be waiting to ambush you."

"How do you know that?" Hanzo asked, taking in Kuai's appearance. He looked younger than Hanzo, late twenties if he had to guess. He was wearing a Lin Kuei uniform. Hanzo did a double take. Why was his mystery dream man wearing a Lin Kuei uniform?

"You've had this dream before," Kuai explained, "It always ends the same."

Hanzo stared at him for a second. Now that he thought about it, yes, he'd had this dream before, and yes, it did end exactly how Kuai said it would. "Who are you?" He asked.

"I'm just a traveler." Kuai smiled at him, squeezing Hanzo's hand a little. "I just like to help where I can."

"Right..."

Hanzo's eyes fluttered open. He stared at the ceiling, silently questioning what just happened. What did Kuai Liang mean, he was just a traveller? Why had Hanzo's imagination conjured him in a Lin Kuei uniform of all things?

It bugged him, knowing he would likely never get answers to those questions. After all, Kuai was just a stranger he'd made up in his dreams right? The only reason he'd shown up two nights in a row was because Hanzo was confused by it all, right?

He went though his day like nothing was wrong. And as he slipped into bed, he prepared himself for whatever his mind had in store for him.

He was in the hall with Raiden, drinking some camomile tea as Raiden explained what to expect from the Mortal Kombat tournament. A monk suddenly ran in the room, warning of an attack by the Lin Kuei. Hanzo felt his gut twisting. This was his fault, if he wasn't here, the Lin Kuei wouldn't be either. He'd put everyone within the temple in danger.

He watched as Raiden teleported to go and fight the waves of enemies. Hanzo stumbled to his feet as the monk in front of him dropped to the floor. Behind were three Lin Kuei warriors, slowly approaching him weapons drawn. Hanzo went for his Katana, only to find it's sheath empty. Backing away, he searched his person for his kunai, only to find nothing. He was completely defenceless.

His breath came out in short bursts, unable to see any way out of this situation except his death.

A sword sliced through the midsection of all three Lin Kuei, and the split parts tumbled to the floor.

Kuai Liang stood behind them, Hanzo's katana firmly in his hands. He regarded the dead Lin Kuei for a moment, before finally setting his sights on Hanzo. He gave him a reassuring smile, before offering him the katana. Despite his confusion, Hanzo accepted it.

"I know you fear this scenario," Kuai stated softly, as Hanzo returned his katana to it's rightful place. "But I promise you, you are safe within these walls. The Lin Kuei don't know you're here."

"How can you be sure of that?" Hanzo asked with an eyebrow raised. Kuai just stared flatly at him, before gesturing to the uniform he was wearing. "Oh. I see." Hanzo stood in silence. "If you are Lin Kuei, why are you helping me?"

"Because you need it," Kuai replied. "I am Lin Kuei, but that means little to me when someone is suffering." Kuai held reached to brush Hanzo's hair from his face. Hanzo marvelled at how realistic he looked and felt. "Whenever you have a nightmare, I will be here to keep you safe. I promise."

"Why? What would you get out of that?" Hanzo mumbled.

"I don't know." Kuai shrugged. "Maybe one day I'll get to see you smile."

Hanzo awoke. Staring at the ceiling for a bit while he took in Kuai's words. While the logical part of Hanzo's mind told him that Kuai was just a figment of his imagination, it was weirdly nice to think he had someone looking out for him. Even if it was just in his dreams.

And after that, Kuai had kept his words. Any night Hanzo had a nightmare, Kuai would be there, to soothe him or fight his fears away. It was like having a guardian angel of his lucid dreams. He never spoke of Kuai in the real world, because why would he? No one needed to know that Hanzo basically had an imaginary friend.

The year came and went, soon, Hanzo found himself on a small boat with Lord Raiden, a Shaolin monk, a Soldier with the American army and a Movie star, because why not.

He stared out across the ocean, trying to keep and eye out for the island. Also he was trying to avoid Johnny Cage, because if that man said another word to him, he was going to break his nose. From the corner of his eye, he saw someone stand next to him. Ready to chew Johnny out, he turned, only to be stunned to find Kuai Liang stood next to him. He secretly reached down to his arm and pinched. He felt nothing.

"Oh. I'm dreaming this." He didn't even remember falling asleep.

Kuai chuckled, "Yes, you are." He gave Hanzo a lopsided grin, "Did you not notice the boat's not actually moving?"

Hanzo frowned, looking over the side to find Kuai was right. The waves were lashing against the wood, but the craft itself wasn't moving. He looked back to Kuai.

"This isn't a nightmare... Why are you here?" He finally asked, watching the way Kuai's mouth twitched.

"Sub Zero is going to be at the tournament," he said, a hint of hesitation in his voice. No, not hesitation, it was almost like he was fearful.

"Yes. He is." Hanzo gripped the wood tighter. "He will not kill me, if that is what you're worried about." Oh, how strange it was to tell a figment of his imagination to not worry about him.

"I hope you're right," Kuai said sincerely, placing his hand atop of Hanzo's. "And I know I have no right to ask anything of you but..." Kuai tore his gaze away from Hanzo, staring out across the ocean. "Please don't kill him either..."

"What?" Hanzo asked confused. His dream guardian was asking him to not kill the orchestrator of his agony?

"I admit it is mostly for selfish reasons but also... I don't think it will bring you the satisfaction and justice you are looking for." Kuai looked back to Hanzo, eyes wide and pleading.

"What are the selfish reasons?" Hanzo warily asked. Kuai didn't answer just swallowed and continued to look with large teary eyes. Hanzo felt his resolve halter, Kuai looked like a hurt puppy and there was something in him that struggled to say no to that face. "I make no promises," he started, "but I will try."

"Thank you." Kuai's voice was small, and full of gratitude. He lent his head forward, resting it on Hanzo's shoulder.

He awoke to someone shaking his shoulder. Liu Kang stood over him, as he softly informed "we're at the island."

Hanzo nodded, wasting no time in getting out of bed and following the others off the boat. The tournament itself was about what Hanzo expected. Fights were arranged before hand. To Hanzo's frustration he would have to wait a while to be able to finally face against Sub Zero. He won match after match, watched Sub Zero's fights closely to get a grasp on his fighting style.

His chance came, and all throughout the fight he had repeated in his mind Kuai Liang's plea to not kill him. He almost accomplished that request, right up until Sub Zero had rubbed it in his face by claiming his family and clan were weak.

Sub Zero's corpse lay scattered in several pieces across the battle ground.

He stood, surveying the carnage when a familiar person in blue approached. He pinched his arm. He felt nothing.

He dared not look into Kuai's eyes. "I'm sorry," he muttered, "I tried."

"I wish you hadn't done it." There was a edge of disappointment in Kuai Liang's voice that made Hanzo's heart hurt. Why? Why was this person who didn't even exist so important to him? He didn't have real feelings. He didn't have anything.

So why?

"You were right," Hanzo hissed, still not lifting his head, keeping his eyes in the bloodbath around him. "I feel nothing from this."

The only response he got was a sigh.

He woke up feeling the coldest he ever had.

The tournament ended. Hanzo and his new allies returned to the Shaolin Temple only to almost immediately return to Outworld. During their travels, Hanzo found his dreams to be empty. Thankful that he had no nightmares, yet upset that his dreams were just plain and boring. He did not see Kuai Liang, although occasionally he swore he saw a flash of blue armour.

In Outworld, they won, Shao Kahn was defeated, and they once more returned to Earthrealm. Hanzo now accompanied Sonya, Jax and Johnny back to special forces, feeling guilty for relying so much on Lord Raiden's hospitality.

Then one night, for the first time in months, he finally saw Kuai again.

He was walking through the halls of special forces, making his way to the main training room. He paused in the doorway, Kuai was standing in the middle of the room, arms crossed over his chest. Hanzo was a little taken aback, Kuai looked the worst for wear. His armour was almost ruined, his skin was littered with bruises and gashes, and his hair was unkept. Most striking was the large wound he now had across the one side of his face.

Hanzo pinched his skin again, and again, he felt nothing.

"Hello," he hesitantly spoke, slowly walking over to Kuai. The closer he got, the worse Kuai looked. He had bags under his eyes, and just in general looked so tired. "I... It's been a while."

Kuai smiled, but there was no joy behind it, just a strange aching sadness. "I know. I'm sorry. It's been... rough. Since the last time we talked."

Hanzo couldn't understand how it could have been rough for a dream but he sighed. "I know. I let you down."

"It's not just that it's..." Kuai stopped and took a breath. "Well... you'll find out soon, I guess." Kuai grabbed his shoulder and rubbed it before muttering, "If i don't die first."

"I won't let you die," Hanzo announced before he even thought about what he was saying. Kuai looked shocked before Hanzo grabbed Kuai's face in his hands. "You have protected me this entire time, let me protect you."

Kuai didn't have time to answer before Hanzo pulled him in for a kiss. Initially Kuai went rigid at the contact but after a few seconds he melted into it. Hanzo held on tighter, hungry for the contact, to feel this way about someone again. Even if it was just someone in a dream.

Just a dream.

He jerked back suddenly, practically throwing Kuai away from him. Kuai yelped and stumbled as Hanzo covered his mouth with a hand.

Just... a dream.

"I'm sorry," he mumbled. Kuai was looking at him with his head tilted. "I shouldn't have done that... I can't do this..."

"No it's alright, I wasn't..." Kuai bit his lip and brushed his hand through his matted hair. "I was just taken by surprise that's all."

"That's not what I meant," Hanzo explained, shaking his head. "I mean... I can't do this with you... You're not real."

"I'm not?" Kuai asked, sounding extremely surprised by this fact.

"No," Hanzo sobbed, "You're just something my mind made up to try and protect me. You don't really exist. You've never really existed. And it's so stupid that I've fallen in love with a fantasy."

Kuai didn't say anything, even as Hanzo started to shed tears. Slowly, Kuai made his way over, kissing Hanzo on the cheek.

"We'll see each other soon, I promise."

Hanzo awoke with a start. He looked around the darkness of the room, and wailed. He did not attempt to go back to sleep.

In the morning, when he was trying to make himself breakfast, he was approached by a nervous looking Sonya.

"We've taken in a stray effected by the Mortal Kombat Tournament," she said. Hanzo looked at her with an eyebrow raised. Why is this my problem? As if hearing his question, Sonya quickly added, "He's a Lin Kuei."

Hanzo's fury must have been extremely obvious because Sonya held her hands up and backed away. Still he tried to push it away, if the Lin Kuei had come here seeking help, they likely had left the clan behind. It could be a trap. Hanzo would just have to be on high alert.

Nothing could have prepared him for Johnny and Jax walking through the door, clearly followed by none other than Kuai Liang.

I'm dreaming again. This isn't real, I'm dreaming.

He pinched his arm, and flinched when he felt a small sharp pain.

This was real.

How the fuck was this real?

Sonya gestured to Kuai and started "Hanzo this is-"

"Kuai Liang," he interjected, ignoring the shocked faces of everyone except Kuai himself, who just looked at Hanzo with a wry smile.

"Hello, Hanzo," he greeted in return, also turning a blind eye to the rest of the rooms confusion. "Seems I'm a little more real than you anticipated."

Hanzo's head was spinning. Kuai Liang was real. He was an actual person, standing before him, with the exact same injuries he'd had in his dream. How the hell is this possible?

"You know each other?" Jax finally asked, sensing both Sonya and Johnny were too shocked to speak.

"I've... I've met him in my dreams," Hanzo stuttered out, this gained more confusion from their companions.

"What kinda dreams are we talking about here? Cause that context could change a lot," Johnny quipped, earning a harsh smack on his arm from Jax.

"I think, we should leave for a few minutes," Sonya finally said, walking over and grabbing both Jax and Johnny by their ears and dragging them off, the pair complaining the entire time.

The door shut behind them, leaving only Hanzo and Kuai Liang.

"How?" Hanzo immediately asked.

"It's hard to explain, but for some reason, I have never had my own dreams," Kuai explained, taking a few hasty steps forward. Clearly testing the water on how close Hanzo would let him get. "I always seem to end up wandering around other peoples." Kuai stopped just short of Hanzo. Up close, Hanzo could see how the wound on his face almost looked infected. He must be in agony. "After a while, I realised I could help people, protect them from their nightmares and soothe their fears."

"So, that's what happened with me? You wandered into my nightmares and made yourself my protector?" Hanzo asked.

"You needed help, and that was all I could offer you at the time." Kuai gave a sad smile, looking to the ground. "The last few months have been... rough. After Sub Zero's death, the Lin Kuei began converting it's ranks into cyborgs. My friends and I tried to run, but they sacrificed themselves so I could get away." He closed his eyes, hand gently touching the wound on his face. "I have not been doing much sleeping, which is I have been gone for so long. I am sorry for not being there for you."

Hanzo was silent for a few minutes, feeling guilty that even after everything Kuai had been through, he was still so worried for Hanzo's well being.

"Why didn't you want me to kill Sub Zero?" He settled on instead. He could get through all the emotions once he had the facts.

"His name was Bi-Han," Kuai told him, looking up at him. There was clear pain in Kuai's eyes. "He was my brother."

Those words pulled the rug completely from under Hanzo's feet. A revelation that made him feel sick. I have done to him, what his brother did to me. No wonder the death gave Hanzo no peace.

"I'm sorry," he closed his eyes. "I didn't know." He reached to touch the side of Kuai's face that wasn't horrifically injured. Tracing a bruise under his eye. "I just... can't believe your real."

"I'm sorry I didn't tell you, people generally don't believe me." Kuai nuzzled into Hanzo's hand.

"Out of all my dreams, I'm glad this is the one to come true," Hanzo admitted, smiling slightly.

Kuai snorted slightly, before laughing under his breath. "I finally got to see you smile. My work here is done." Kuai closed his eyes, his face dropping. "But I don't know how long I will stay here, the Lin Kuei will hunt me down, I wouldn't want to put everyone in danger."

"Stay," Hanzo practically begged, Kuai reopened his eyes to give him a questioning look. "You've spent this last year protecting me from my fears, it's time I did the same for you." He rested his forehead against Kuai's careful to not put too much weight on him. "You helped me, and I did nothing but hurt you in return, I know I can never replace what I took from you, but please let me try to make amends."

Kuai choked slightly, before quietly replying "okay, I will stay."

Hanzo felt relief flood him as he pulled back. The imagine of himself kissing Kuai in his dream came back to his mind and he grimaced. "Uh, about... What happened last night..."

"I think," Kuai started reaching a hand to cup under Hanzo's chin, "we both need more time to heal, before we think about that." Hanzo nodded, he agreed with that sentiment, and was relieved Kuai wasn't holding it against him. "Plus, I'd like the chance to get to know you. The real you."

"I'd like that too," Hanzo agreed, leaning to press a kiss against Kuai's forehead. Comfortable silence fell between them. From behind the door he heard muffled whispers, clearly Sonya, Jax and Johnny trying to listen in to the conversation. "What do we tell that lot? Somehow I doubt they’ll believe our story.”

Kuai laughed, "I could show up in their dreams and scare the hell out of them."

"Oh, that's evil," Hanzo commented, looking and Kuai with a mischievous smirk, "I love it."

This was better than any dream Hanzo could ever have.

⊰ Last FicSong Inspired ShortsNext Fic ⊱
⏎Return To Song Inspired Shorts Masterlist⏎