When You Were Young

❥Pairing: Erron Black/Kuai Liang
❥Word Count: 1056 Words
❥Rating: Mature
❥Warnings: Modern AU, Alcohol, Drinking to drown sorrows, Bad marriage, Bad breakup, Divorce, Reference to adultery/cheating, Implied emotional abuse, Flirting, Bad self-esteem, Reference to one night stand, Erron is a gentleman and Kuai deserves one, Kuai’s ex-husband is left unnamed (put whoever you want in that spot)
❥Prompt: When You Were Young - The Killers

Mirror Links

AO3Tumblr

"Could I get another glass of wine, please?"

The bartender nodded, taking the empty glass in front of him, before turning away to grab another. Kuai wasn't normally a drinker. He especially wasn't the sort of person to drink when he was upset, but he just needed something to take away the edge. He glanced down to his ring finger, the indents from where his wedding band used to be still visible in his skin.

It should have been a relief really. He'd hastily agreed to marriage when he was only 20 years old, and while he and his husband had been together 25 years, over that time, the love they'd once had died along the way. They had been arguing constantly. Kuai, of course, was always wrong, at least according to his ex. He never did anything right. There always seemed to be something to criticise. His cooking, his appearance, his work. Kuai had stuck it out, some part of him hopeful he could one day, do something that made his ex remember why they got married.

That was all flushed away when Kuai came home early one day to find his husband in bed with someone else.

Oh, it should have been a relief to have the divorce finalised and be away from that mess. But he wasn't. He knew it was stupid, mourning for something so awful and someone who had treated him so terribly. He wasn't sure what he was grieving the loss of really, his husband, the relationship or the 25 years of his life.

The bartender placed the wine in front of him, Kuai gave him an appreciative smile before handing over the money he owed. He took a sip, still miserable but the warmth he felt slide down his throat was comforting. He was starting to see why people drank when they were sad.

"You are awfully pretty to be sat up here alone, Darlin'."

Kuai blinked at the sudden voice. Initially he believed he'd just overheard someone else's conversation. Until a man in a cowboy hat sat down on the seat next to him, leaning on the bar. Kuai glanced around, even as the man stared directly at him. He can't be talking to me, surely?

"I... am?" He slowly questioned, trying to get a closer look at this mysterious stranger. Short brown hair, a little stubble, wearing a blue shirt and brown waistcoat. The hat was throwing Kuai off a little, but otherwise he wasn't bad looking. Handsome even, despite not being Kuai's usual type. Maybe that was a good thing.

"I say so," the man spoke, southern drawl becoming obvious. "What's got you so down gorgeous?"

Kuai felt his cheeks begin to heat up. It had been a while since anyone had called him something like that. And sure maybe this man was just trying to sweet talk his way into a quick fuck, but even if he was, it was nice to be wanted for even just that. In that moment, he was starved of affection, and scared the news of a recent divorce would scare off this handsome man. Yet he couldn't think of a lie to tell.

"I finalised my divorce today," Kuai explained, fully expecting his companion to flee. To his surprise, he didn't, just gave Kuai a sympathetic look.

"Well, I'm sorry to hear that," the man replied, slowly slipping off his hat. Maybe it was the wine, but for some reason the action made Kuai swoon just a little. "How long were you married for?"

"25 years," Kuai said, "I was only 20 when we married."

"Damn," The man muttered, a small smirk crossing his face. "And here was me thinkin' you were 21."

Kuai spluttered on a mouthful of his wine, face going red both from choking on his drink and the flattery. His airways clear he giggled slightly as he said "oh please!" The man began to grin, clearly satisfied with the reaction. "I'm just a sad old man."

"Hm, sad, maybe," he replied, brushing his hair from his eyes as he did. "Old? Well I got 5 years on you there, darlin'"

"Really?" Kuai couldn't believe the man in front of him was 50. He looked late thirties at most. "You're looking good for it."

"Why thank you." The man reached forward brushing some of Kuai's hair from his face. "But I reckon I don't look anywhere near half as good as you do."

Kuai covered his eyes with his hand as he silently laughed. He was sure he looked quite the picture, he could feel the heat that had been in his cheeks spreading right up to his ears. His smile so wide he knew his teeth were showing. He looked over at the man again. No, he wasn't Kuai's usual type, but he talked like a gentleman, and that was exactly what Kuai needed to save him from his heartbreak.

"My name's Kuai Liang," he finally offered, finishing off the last of his wine.

"Erron," was the reply he got. Erron tilted his head, "so, y'think I can keep that smile on your face if I offer to buy you another drink?"

"It's worth a shot." Kuai smiled as Erron called the bartender over to get in a fresh order of drinks.

Several drinks later, and Kuai found himself out in the cold street, shivering as Erron gently placed his jacket over Kuai's shoulders. Ever the gentleman, Erron walked him home, letting Kuai cling to his arm for stabilisation. The idea this was leading to a one night stand was proven wrong, when Erron declined Kuai's offer to come inside, opting instead to just kiss Kuai on the cheek and pass him a small note.

As he stumbled into his house, he couldn't help feel a little rejected. Until he fell down on his couch, remembering the note he'd been given. Kuai smiled, as the message read "Next time darlin', I'll buy you more than a drink" followed by what Kuai could only assume was Erron's phone number.

He slumped back on the couch, grin on his face as sleep came to claim him.

⊰ Last FicSong Inspired ShortsNext Fic ⊱
⏎Return To Song Inspired Shorts Masterlist⏎