Petalstorm

❥Pairing: Hanzo Hasashi/Kuai Liang
❥Word Count: 1993 Words
❥Rating: Mature
❥Warnings: God AU, God!Kuai Liang, God!Bi-Han, Semi-Immortal Gods, Mentions of Murder, Mentions of death by presumed hypothermia, Getting revenge on the wrong person, Eternal winter, Curse, The Elder God’s are dicks
❥Prompt: Petalstorm - Elvenking

Mirror Links

AO3Tumblr

It felt like hours before through the raging snowstorm he could see the temple of the God of Winter. What was it with god's and building their sacred hideout's on the top of inhospitable mountains? He didn't know, wasn't sure he wanted to know. All Hanzo could think about was finally reaching his destination and getting out of the cold weather.

Mere weeks ago, he would have laughed at the idea of coming here. That was until the thunder god, Raiden, had sought him out. He bore important information, that his wife had been killed not by the cold of winter, but had in fact been murdered by the traitorous sorcerer Quan Chi. This knowledge changed everything.

There had once been two God's who had claim to winter, a pair of brothers who controlled the snow and ice between them. The Elder merciless, caring not for the plight of mortals, determined to complete his calling at any cost. The Younger was softer, willing to listen to those who worshipped him and while he still had a purpose to fulfil he would try to keep the winter from being too harsh.

And one day, Hanzo had awoken to find his wife and son missing. It was the dead of winter, and he'd walked for miles, only to find their frozen corpses huddled together. He wished to seek revenge on the elder, who he knew would be the cause of his wife's death. He went to Quan Chi, looking for help on fighting an immortal, where it was revealed to him that god's are not as ever living as assumed. With the right tools, god's could be killed. Quan Chi just so happened to have one of these tools, a katana infused with fire magic. And so he summoned the god to meet his fate.

A bloody battle ensued, but eventually Hanzo struck down the Elder.

And the Younger mourned.

And then the eternal winter came.

And it was all his fault.

He had for years denied any wrong doing. He had merely slayed the monster that had killed his wife, it was not his fault that the Younger had taken out his grief on the world. But now? He could not refute what he had done. It had been 20 years, and not once had the snow stopped falling and the ice stopped forming across lakes and rivers. The Younger, being a god, could grieve for a millennia, and Hanzo had been the one to cause this state. It seemed only right for him to offer himself as sacrifice to finally free the world of this torment.

His feet finally on solid ground, he stared up at the temple in front of him. It was amazingly still in a pristine condition, seemingly cared for so lovingly despite it's inhabitants distress. He walked to the steps that led to the heavy stone doors, hiding a curious decorative box perched on the top step. On the door, was a sign that read “Please do not enter, leave any gifts you may bare in the box, thank you”. Hanzo raised an eyebrow at that, both at the idea that a god of all people would leave a polite request to be left alone posted on his front door and of the idea that people still travelled here to leave gifts.

He rolled his shoulders, taking a deep breathe, and disregarding the message he opened the door and stepped inside. He made sure the door's closed behind him, as he looked down the dark hall, dimly lit by candles. He followed them down, slowly, and trying to keep an eye out for any traps that may have been set out to keep intruders at bay. He was surprised when he did not come across any.

He soon found himself leaving the hallway through an archway that led to the main shrine room. Through the dim light, he could make out a figure knelt in front of the alter, and he felt a sudden chill run up his back. It was definitely the god he was seeking. He tried to take a step back, hoping he would not be noticed but the sound of his foot hitting the floor echoed through the room. The god remained still for a second, before carefully lifting himself from his position on the floor. While he stood, he still did not turn around.

“Have mortals forgotten how to read?” The god suddenly questioned. “Or are you another who has come here to slay me?”

“I'm not here to kill you,” he replied, and immediately noticed the shift in the god's body language. He recognised his voice. Of course he did. Slowly the god turned around, his hanfu gracefully twirling from the motion. Two icy glowing eyes looked him over, but Hanzo could make out no more of his face in the darkness.

“Hanzo Hasashi.” To his surprise, the god spoke his name tenderly, with no hint of anger or bitterness. “I am surprised, after all these years that you come before me, and claim to harbour no ill will toward me.”

“I come not for myself, but the people down below.” Hanzo could feel his throat closing up as he watched the god slowly walk towards him and he tried to think to say next. As he got closer, Hanzo was able to make out his features more clearly. Being a god, he had not aged a day since the last time they had met, however curiously he had gained a rather striking scar across his one eye and had managed to grow a beard the same white colour as his hair. The god's cheeks glistened against the candle light, and Hanzo realised it was because they were wet with tears that seemed to constantly flow from his eyes.

“Speak to me your mind,” was all the god said, even as the tears rolled down his cheeks, there was no tone of sadness in his voice.

“I come before you, Lord Kuai Liang, God of Winter, to humbly beg for your mercy. Mercy in stopping the eternal winter you cast upon the people of this world.” Hanzo allowed himself to drop to one knee, bowing his head as a gesture of respect and surrender. “I was the one who struck your brother down, I am the cause of your grief, I am the one who should bare the burden of your fury, not them. You may punish me in any way you see fit, just please let them feel the warmth of summer once more.”

Silence filled the air. Hanzo grit is teeth, tense and awaiting Kuai Liang's hand to strike him down as he had once done to the god's brother. Finally however, Kuai Liang sighed, causing Hanzo to look up and desperately try to read his facial expression.

“That is... A noble gesture,” Kuai Liang slowly spoke, holding one of his hands over his chest. Hanzo could see the pain in his eyes. “But I am afraid that I can not stop the winter.”

“What? Why not?” Hanzo jumped to his feet, desperate. Raiden had said this was the way, Raiden had assured him that Kuai Liang would accept the gesture and end the winter.

“I can not stop the winter, Hanzo Hasashi, because it is not of my design.”

Hanzo stopped himself to replying too quickly to really think about those words. Not of his design? What did that mean? That he was not the person responsible? But... It was common knowledge that the winter was Kuai Liang's grief given a physical form.

“What?” That was all Hanzo found he could say. He had so many questions, and tried to find the words to ask them. “I don't understand, you are the god of winter, your grief is what is causing this, is it not?”

“Allow me to put it like this,” Kuai Liang started, reaching a hand to touch his cheeks, brushing away his tears. A futile attempt, as they were quickly replaced by more. “My grief is indeed the weapon, but I am not it's wielder.” Hanzo still didn't understand, but thankfully, Kuai Liang seemed to realise this, as he continued to speak. “After you killed my brother, the Elder God's took it as an act of defiance against them. They resolved that Earthrealm as a whole would pay for your actions. They took me and my grief, and used it to issue their punishment.”

Kuai Liang turned away, slowly walking over to two statues nestled against the wall. Hanzo followed, one of the statues was Kuai Liang himself, the other was his elder brother, Bi-Han. Kuai Liang looked at the statue of Bi-Han longingly, closing his eyes and shaking his head in pain.

“I have tried, for so many years, to let go of the pain and anger I feel,” he admitted, reaching forward to touch the cheek of his brother's statue. “But each time I do, I feel the elder gods influence pulling me back. They will not let me move on until they are satisfied that Earthrealm has learnt it's lesson.” Kuai Liang slumped against the statue, closing his eyes once more. “I am... so tired... I just want to lay my brothers memory to rest and move on, but I can't...”

In some ways, Hanzo wondered if this should have been obvious. Kuai Liang had always shown kindness to the mortals that worshipped him, it was out of character for him to take his pain out on those he tried so hard to please. As Kuai Liang pushed away from the statue, straightening his posture, but the slump in his shoulders was still there.

“I meant it, when I said your gesture was a noble one,” Kuai Liang softly spoke again, finally turning back to Hanzo and approaching. He placed a hand on Hanzo's shoulder. “For what it is worth, I forgive you.”

Hanzo choked slightly, three words he never expected to hear. How, after all his suffering by Hanzo and the Elder Gods hands, was he able to say those words with such ease?

“It... Is getting late,” Kuai Liang finally said, releasing his grasp on Hanzo's shoulder, only to loop his arm around Hanzo's bicep. “It will be far too dangerous for you to transverse the mountain in the dark, allow me to make you some tea, it shall keep you warm until the night passes and you can leave safely.”

Hanzo allowed the god to lead him back towards the shrine, as they got closer to the alter, Hanzo could make out a small tea set on it. Hanzo wondered if this had been a gift from some mortals.

He watched as Kuai Liang began to prepare the tea, softly speaking about how back when times were not like this, his followers would often come with gift's of tea, aware of how he loved it so, and how every so often, he will go to find some fresh teas left for him in the box outside his temple. Despite his tears and anguish, he smiled as he spoke, obviously he had fond memories of his worshippers.

It was unfair. Unfair to the mortals of Earthrealm who had done nothing to earn such ire from the Elder Gods. Unfair for them to take the actions of one man as the actions of an entire people. And most certainly unfair to force Kuai Liang to relive his trauma day in and day out.

Only he could put an end to all of this suffering and he concluded, as he took a sip of the camomile tea offered to him by the God of Winter, if he had to confront the Elder Gods themselves in order to set things right, then that would be what he would do.

He would stop this winter, and bring spring to Earthrealm once more.

⊰ Last FicSong Inspired ShortsNext Fic ⊱
⏎Return To Song Inspired Shorts Masterlist⏎