How You Remind Me

❥Pairing: Sektor/Kuai Liang
❥Word Count: 1540 Words
❥Rating: Mature
❥Warnings: Mentions of corporal punishments, Referenced whipping, Poor mental Health/Self-esteem, Smoking, Suicidal ideation, Implied/Referenced Sadism, Implied sex
❥Prompt: How You Remind Me - Nickelback

Mirror Links

AO3Tumblr

Kuai slid down the wall, out of sight of the eyes of the Lin Kuei, out of the sight of his friends, out of the sight of his brother. His back protested the movement, the thin angry whip marks that littered his skin stinging at the pressure. He knew his reluctance to kill innocents in his latest mission would result in punishment. He knew, and he refused anyway.

It may have not been so bad, had it not taken place in front of practically the entire clan. He knew, deep down, it wasn't so much about humiliating him, though that was likely a part of it, but sending a message to others who may question orders like he had.

This is what happens if you disobey. You end up like Tundra. You don't want to end up like Tundra. Worthless Tundra. Can't do anything right. Fucking useless brat. This is why he'll never earn the mantle of Sub Zero. Pathetic Tundra.

Had people actually said those things, or was that just his mind translating hushed whispers and judgemental glances? He wasn't sure.

When he heard footsteps, he felt himself freeze. He was currently in a very secluded area of the temples grounds, somewhere he was sure no one would ever find him. It was his safe haven when things got too much. If anyone found him here, his quiet place would be gone. And that wasn't even considering what would be done to him for hiding and sulking like a child rather than taking his punishment in stride.

A shadow appeared on the ground, whoever it was, they were just behind the corner. He tensed as the footsteps got closer, and soon a foot came into view, very quickly followed by a blur of red and Kuai held his breathe because now looking down at him was Sektor.

Although, now that he could see the other man, Sektor looked about as anxious about being there as Kuai felt. They just stared at each other for a few tense seconds, before Sektor coughed and looked away over his shoulder as if to make sure no one else was there.

“I won't tell anyone if you don't,” Sektor muttered lowly as he turned back to Kuai. The words caused a large amount of mental whiplash, and every part of Kuai's brain told him not to trust the words. When had Sektor not jumped at the chance to get Kuai into trouble with the elders?

When Sektor himself could get into trouble as well.

Oh.

Kuai eventually nodded, deciding that if Sektor didn't want anyone to know he was here, it was likely that he wouldn't reveal this location to anyone, now or in the future. It seemed maybe this wasn't just Kuai's safe haven.

Sektor let out a breathe as he slipped around the corner and let himself fall back onto the floor next to Kuai. He watched at the other man patted down his pockets, before slipping out a package of something. Opening it, he offered whatever was inside to Kuai. It took Kuai a few seconds to realise what they were.

“Cigarettes?” He questioned, lifting an eyebrow. “I thought we weren't allowed to smoke...”

Sektor gave a bitter laugh, “Grandmaster's son,” he muttered as if that in anyway was a reasonable explanation. “I can get away with this shit.” He shook the pack towards Kuai.

Unsure if he genuinely wanted to, but feeling it rude to refuse, Kuai reached forward and took a cigarette in his hands. He wasn't completely oblivious to how they were consumed. The orange bit went in your mouth, and the white bit at the end was the bit you set on fire. He watched as Sektor took one of his own out of the packet, slipping it back into his pocket and producing a lighter. A couple of clicks and suddenly there was a small flame, and Kuai held the cigarette to light it.

He stared at it, unsure if he was really willing to go against the Lin Kuei's rules so soon after his humiliation at the hands of the elders. He supposed, they couldn't do anything worse. He slipped it between his lips and inhaled and...

Immediately dissolved into a coughing fit.

He clamped his hand over his mouth, desperate to hide the noise lest someone be alerted to where they were hiding. Once he'd managed to stop, he looked up at Sektor, suddenly feeling very self conscious, and expecting some scathing remark from him. Instead he just looked mildly amused by what he'd just witnessed.

“They take some getting used to,” he offered, before taking a drag of his own, letting the smoke escape his nose and mouth.

Kuai tried again, this time knowing what to expect and trying to not breathe too deeply. He didn't like it, even if this time he'd managed to stop himself from choking. And yet there was something oddly cathartic about it. Was this why people poisoned themselves with these things?

“I'm sorry,” Sektor finally murmured, the words completely catching Kuai off guard. He hadn't even realised they had been silent for so long until they slipped out, and not to mention what had actually been said to him.

“It's not like you to say sorry,” Kuai grumbled, trying to take another mouthful of smoke, it was becoming less unpleasant now. God he was going to kill Sektor if he ended up getting hooked on these things. “What exactly are you apologizing for?”

“For what the elder's did to you earlier,” Sektor explained, but that just confused Kuai more. That had nothing to do with Sektor, for once, so why did he feel the need to say sorry. “Believe it or not, I don't actually like seeing you in pain.” Now that Kuai didn't believe for a second. He admitted he could be extremely naïve at times, but even he wasn't fool enough to believe that. Sektor snorted in defeat. “Well... I don't like seeing you in pain that I didn't cause.”

That sounded more like it.

“Yeah, well, it was my own fault.” Because it was, wasn't it? If he wasn't so difficult and had to push the rules, he wouldn't get hurt right? That was the logic anyway, but he had a feeling everyone was just looking for reasons to hurt him. Might as well save them the trouble of looking too hard.

“Life would be a lot easier for you if you just followed orders for once,” Sektor offered as if that was advice that Kuai had never considered before.

“See I thought about that, but then I remembered how stubborn I am.” Kuai shrugged, smirking slightly at the exasperated look he was given. He didn't really know why he was being so casual about this, even as the wounds on his back throbbed at the memory. Maybe because being so blasé was easier than admitting he knew that absolutely nothing he could ever do would be enough.

“You are such a pain in the ass,” Sektor muttered, coming to the end of his cigarette and stubbing it out on the ground.

“Can always count on you to remind me of what I really am.” Kuai's smarmy response gained groan. Kuai came to the end of his own cigarette now, trying to copy the move that Sektor had done to put it out.

“A brat, amongst other things,” Sektor replied, moving to lean towards Kuai slightly. “Someone who needs to learn his place.”

“A rabid animal that needs to be tamed?” Kuai questioned, taking a chance at pushing himself off the floor, and as gracefully as he could manage, sliding up to Sektor. He slid a leg over Sektor's, finding himself straddling the other man's lap. Almost immediately Sektor's hands were at his hips squeezing. “Maybe one day I'll let you think you've succeeded.”

“Maybe one day I'll actually succeed. You'd make a perfect little second in command if you actually followed fucking orders.” Sektor's hands made their way to Kuai's belt, before he paused slightly. “You're going to have to shut the fuck up.”

“You know damn well I'm a screamer, you're going to have to shut me the fuck up,” Kuai countered, as his belt fell away.

One of Sektors hands groped roughly at his ass, while the other made it's way to the back of his head, tangling in his short hair and jerking Kuai forward. “With pleasure,” Sektor purred, before claiming Kuai's lips with his.

Kuai gave a satisfied sigh, tugging at Sektor's clothing as he felt his trousers slowly being pulled down. He tried to ignore the part of him that wanted them to get caught, aware that discovery would mean death, for him at least. He tried to ignore that fact that was why he wanted to get caught.

Instead he focused on Sektor's tongue in his mouth, the taste of nicotine lingering on the other man's breath, and the hand that was now slipping down into his pants. He considered that if he were to die, he would not experience this again.

He did his best to keep quiet after that.

⊰ Last FicSong Inspired ShortsNext Fic ⊱
⏎Return To Song Inspired Shorts Masterlist⏎