I Will Follow You Into The Dark

❥Pairing: Hanzo Hasashi/Kuai Liang
❥Word Count: 501 Words
❥Rating: Teen
❥Warnings: Post MK11, Death, Afterlife, Y'know what this is pretty fluffy all things considered
❥Prompt: I Will Follow You Into The Dark - Death Cab For Cutie

Mirror Links

AO3Tumblr

Hanzo could feel the poison coursing through his veins and his grip on life slowly getting weaker. He had done all he could to convince his younger self that he should return to the new Shirai Ryu, he could only hope that his younger self would see reason.

The world slowly faded from view, a calming black overtaking, as he let out the last of the air in his lungs and everything went numb.

He awoke with a start, gasping for breath. Eyes wide open, yet vision blurred, and his mind trying to make sense of what was happening. He should have been dead. He reached a hand to his face to find it still there, skin and beard and all, he was still human. He blinked, trying to figure out what exactly had just happened. But as his vision came into focus, he found there was not exactly much to look at, besides a seemingly endless black void.

Slowly he pushed himself to stand on his trembling legs. He turned around on the spot, desperately hoping to find something, anything, that would help him discern where he was. There was nothing. Just endless black. He was alone.

This was not what death was like for him last time. Was that it then? He'd already gotten his second chance, he'd suffered in the Netherrealm for his sins, so was this just what death was like for those cleansed of the darkness? Ironic, really, that death for those who were good was bathed in black.

A cold hand grasped at his, squeezing tightly.

Suddenly brought from his musings, Hanzo turned his head, his eyes meeting a pair of familiar blue ones.

“Kuai Liang?” He questioned and Kuai gave a small smile. “But, how?”

“Liu Kang has reset the timeline,” he explained. He looked away briefly to look into the void, before looking back at Hanzo. “I guess the universe just didn't know what to do with all that remained.”

“And yet it knew to bring you here to me.” He reached his hand to Kuai's cheek, feeling his pulse race. “At the end of time, just you and me...” He felt his hand grip the other man's tighter. “Just our hands clasped so tight...”

“I always said, if there's no one beside you when your soul embarks,” Kuai softly spoke, his free hand reaching around Hanzo's back, “then I'd follow you into the dark.”

There was nothing more that needed to be said between them. Hanzo lent forwards, his lips meeting Kuai Liang's as they clung so tightly to each other it was as if they had become one. He'd often thought the universe worked in mysterious ways, but he'd come to realise his and Kuai Liang's soul's were connected to each other, always destined to meet no matter the circumstance. And now, destiny had smiled upon them one final time, and given them this one last happy ending.

Just the two of them, together in the darkness.

⊰ Last FicSong Inspired ShortsNext Fic ⊱
⏎Return To Song Inspired Shorts Masterlist⏎