The Doctors Wife

❥Pairing: Hanzo Hasashi/Kuai Liang
❥Word Count: 2527 Words
❥Rating: Mature
❥Warnings: Steampunk AU (though it doesn’t really come up much tbh), Illness, Seizures, Unethical medical practices, Unknown medical conditions, Breaking codes of medical practice
❥Prompt: The Doctor’s Wife - The Clockwork Quartet

Mirror Links

AO3Tumblr

Monday the twenty sixth of March.

“Hanzo, really there is no need for all this fuss,” Kuai tried to argue as Hanzo tried to support his weight and usher him back into bed.

“You really shouldn't be walking around like this,” Hanzo softly reminded him, “Your seizures are growing worse by the day.” He pulled the bed covers back, helping his husband slide onto the bed. “Until I can find what is causing your body to decay like this, you need to stay in bed.”

Despite Kuai's insistence that he wasn't that bad, Hanzo was not fool enough to believe that. He'd been a doctor for years, and just a look at his husband told him how sick the poor man was. Skin a sickly shade, bags under his eyes, and the amount of weight he'd lost. No it didn't take a genius to see that this illness was far worse than Kuai was trying to make it seem, and if he was going to downplay it then Hanzo was just going to have to be more insistent on his care.

Kuai finally sighed in defeat, allowing Hanzo to lift his legs into the bed and settling down. “I understand, but I am used to being busy, not having anything to do is driving me to distraction darling.”

“I know,” Hanzo smiled softly and lent forward to plant a kiss on Kuai's forehead. “I can get you some more books if that will help to fight off the boredom?”

“I would definitely appreciate that,” Kuai confirmed, watching as Hanzo brought the covers up around his chest. He reached out to touch his husbands cheek. “You really do need to stop worrying about me so much, dear. When was the last time you got sleep?”

“I'm sleeping fine,” Hanzo replied, ignoring Kuai's reassurance that he didn't need to be dotted on in such a manor. He didn't want to admit to Kuai that he'd barely had an hours sleep in the last 24 hours. “And you know I can not help but worry. I lost Harumi already, I can't...” He paused. He didn't want to think about that as a possibility.

He felt Kuai take his hand and give it a squeeze, “You have not lost me yet love.” Hanzo smiled at that, his beloved always knew the words to reassure him. “I have faith in your abilities as a doctor, that you will find a cure. You need to have that faith in yourself.”

“You're right,” he sighed softly, carding his fingers through his hair. “We will get through this, together.”

Kuai smiled and lent forward slightly, causing Hanzo to lean downwards and softly plant a kiss on his lips. “Now then Doctor, don't you have other patients you need to take care of as well?”

“I do,” Hanzo smirked slightly, giving another quick kiss before he added, “but none as beautiful as you are.”

“Oh shut up!” Kuai exclaimed with short laugh and what sounded like a snort, as he pulled away. “You are unbelievable.” Hanzo felt triumphant, Kuai was so very easy to fluster like this. At this point being told to shut up was just another way for Kuai to say he loved him. As he slowly settled back into bed, he sighed, and looked at Hanzo. “I love you.”

“I love you too,” Hanzo replied. Finally satisfied that Kuai would stay in bed, at least for now, he began to turn away. Before he reached the door, he called back, “I'll get those book as soon as possible!”

As he left the room, he just about heard the shout of “You'd better!”. He chuckled to himself as he went to check on the rest of his patients.

Five years ago.

The party was in full swing. He'd come out of formality really, a friend of a friend was celebrating the birthday of their daughter, and so he had been invited. It wasn't so bad he guessed, at least there was wine and while he didn't know many people he at least had Kenshi to speak with.

As he made his way over to the bar to get himself another glass of wine, he didn't pay too much attention to the people around him. Until he accidentally got a little too close to one man and accidentally knocked him with his elbow, sending the man's drink flying to the floor.

“Oh, I'm so sorry,” he immediately said, as the other man turned around the face him. As two blue eyes met his own, he felt the flutter in his chest. Oh lord.

“Oh, no, I'm sorry this was probably a bad place to stand,” the other man answered, reaching to grab his now empty glass off the floor. Thankfully, it hadn't broken. “I should be more careful.”

“Nonsense it's me who should be more careful, I wasn't watching where I was going.” And how the hell had he not noticed this man? With a face that looked like it was carved by angels. “The least I can do to apologies is to buy you a new drink.”

The man giggled at that, “Well, it would be rude for me to not accept wouldn't it.” The man joined Hanzo's side, as they began walking towards the bar again. “I do not believe we are antiquated. I am Song Kuai Liang.”

“Doctor Hanzo Hasashi,” Hanzo greeted back.

Kuai Liang hummed to himself, an amused smile on his face, “Do you often introduce yourself by your title?”

“Only when I'm trying to impress someone,” Hanzo teased back, very much getting the reaction he was hoping for when Kuai's cheeks began to redden. “Is it working?”

Kuai looked him up and down for a few seconds, as if he was considering it. “Hm, I think it might be.”

Hanzo had the goofiest smile of his face for the rest of the night. The first drink led to another, and they just talked and danced the night away. He's walked Kuai home, and in no uncertain terms asked if it were possible for him to see the other man again. He never forgot the way Kuai kissed him on the cheek as he said yes.

Tuesday the seventeenth of May.

A worrying symptom had now reared it head.

Kuai Liang's condition had been progressively getting weaker as the days went by. When he had become too weak to stand, Hanzo had started to fear for the worse, and Kuai had been bedbound for a least a month.

And now, Kuai Liang could no longer speak.

Hanzo watched as his husband writhed, he looked like he was in pain but Hanzo couldn't tell from what. Sweat dripped down his face, eyes opening and closing like his eyelids were heavy and he couldn't keep them open. Hanzo gently placed a damp cloth on his forehead, hoping to at least steam some of the fever.

“Hah... Hah... Ha.” Kuai was trying so hard to utter sounds, but just couldn't seem to get them out. It didn't matter, Hanzo already knew what he was trying to say.

“Yes my love, it's me,” He said softly, stroking his husbands hair and hoping to reassure him sightly. “It's okay, you're okay.” Kuai shuddered, gasping and closing his eyes.

He was still no closer to a cure, but he had to keep trying. He had lost his first love, he could never forgive himself if he allowed himself to loose his second.

“I don't know how much you understand right now, my snowflake,” he spoke, sitting on the edge of the bed and reaching to brush some of Kuai's hairs off his forehead. “But I swear to you, I am doing everything I can. I will find a cure, I promise.”

He lent down to kiss Kuai on the cheek, the other man making a sound as he did. Hanzo decided to take it as an acknowledgement of his efforts. He smiled.

“I love you darling,” he pulled away. “Forever and always.”

His work continued.

Three years ago.

There was a loud cheer as the music began to play, Kuai Liang laughed lightly as he and Hanzo began to spin in time. Hanzo didn't think that his love could get any more perfect, and yet here they were on their wedding day and he just got more wonderful by the second. He was so completely in love with him.

“What are you thinking about, Dr. Song-Hasashi?” Kuai asked, and Hanzo's heart flew at being referred to their new joint surname.

“I was just thinking,” he started, guiding Kuai along the dancefloor and dipping him low, “about how I have the most beautiful husband in the world.”

Kuai burst out in a fit of laughter as Hanzo brought him back up. “Oh shut up,” he managed to giggle out, but still he wrapped his arms around Hanzo's waist. “You are so cheesy.”

“But you love me for it,” Hanzo declared, confident in that statement. Kuai smile told him everything he needed to know.

“I do,” Kuai hummed resting his head on Hanzo shoulder. “I love you so much.” Even as the music faded and another round of cheers they still stayed together. “Don't let me go, my darling.”

“I never will.”

The music started again, and as people around them started to join in with the dance, Hanzo found himself blissfully in the arms of the man he loved.

Sunday the twenty-third of June.

Kuai Liang was no longer responding to stimuli of any kind.

Where before he'd at least been able to move his eyes and utter sounds, now he was completely paralysed. Even touch did nothing. Hanzo had made the decision to dedicate his time fully to his beloved, discharging all his other patients and putting his full effort into Kuai Liang's recovery. His care was around the clock, feeding him and bathing him, making sure that despite everything Kuai was still cared for.

He sat down next to the bed, picking a book off the bedside cabinet. Despite everything, he knew Kuai Liang was still in there, his mind had to still be there. He could see the life still in his eyes and he knew, just knew his husband was there deep inside.

He opened the book, it was one of Kuai Liang's favourites, must have read it hundreds of times and yet he never seemed to bore of it. Hanzo read aloud, hoping the words would reach Kuai, that despite the fear the poor man must be facing that there was still some comfort he could grasp at. At least until Hanzo could bring him back from the edge of death.

Kuai didn't react, but Hanzo swore he could see something in those eyes. Something that proved in his mind that Kuai was not dead yet.

He finished the chapter, lent down, kissed Kuai Liang's forehead.

“I'm so close darling, please just hold on a little longer.” He choked a little, remembering the words that Kuai had uttered to him on their wedding day. Don't let me go, my darling. It was almost as if his beloved was saying them right there and then. “I never will let you go.”

He continued his research.

One year ago.

He knew something was wrong just looking at Kuai Liang.

The other man looked like he was trembling, appearing as if he was about to collapse on the spot. He looked pale, and seemed to be leaning against things in order to keep his balance.

“Kuai, are you okay?” He asked, as he walked up to his beloved. Despite everything, Kuai looked at him with a smile.

“I'm fine, just feeling a little off that's all.” He tried to dismiss, but when he took a step forward he lost his balanced and stumbled. Hanzo caught him before he fell to the floor.

“Kuai Liang?” He asked, before noticing the way his husband was starting to twitch and convulse, eyes rolling back into his head. His eyes widened, Kuai was having a seizure.

He gently lowered Kuai to the floor, taking his jacket and placing it under Kuai's head. Kuai twitched violently on the floor, but Hanzo knew he had to wait and let the convulsions stop, trying to count out how long it was taking. Thankfully, it didn't last long, and Kuai soon stilled. Hanzo gently moved the man onto his side, waiting for him to regain consciousness.

“Kuai Liang? Can you hear me?” Hanzo tried to remember if Kuai had ever mentioned having experienced seizures before, but nothing came to mind. If this was the first time he'd ever had one, then it was extremely worrying. Kuai groaned and shifted slightly. “Kuai? Can you hear me?”

“What... Happened?” Kuai questioned, groggy and confused but thankfully awake. That was a good sign.

“It's okay, you've had a seizure.” He stroked Kuai's hair. “How are you feeling?”

“Tired,” Kuai barely mumbled, opening his eyes briefly before closing them again.

“I know, try to stay awake for me though, okay?” He said, briefly leaving Kuai's side to press a button that was alert his nurses to come. “I'm going to take you down to the wards to get you checked over okay?”

It didn't take a minute for a couple of Hanzo's nurses to make their way up to his office, and with their help, he began the task to moving Kuai down somewhere he could recover properly.

And where Hanzo could begin to find out just what the cause was.

Tuesday the eighteenth of July.

He stepped away from his newest apparatus, listening to the tick of the clockwork parts keeping it working.

It was the only thing keeping Kuai alive now. He'd had to stop the other man's heart, it was far too weak to sustain him. At least with this mechanical replacement, it would ensure Kuai's other organs would survive. His body was slowly decaying, but every time something fell, Hanzo had managed to create a machine to replace the part. Through the glisten of bronze he could just about make out what remained of his husband's body.

He knew he'd broken ever rule of practise, but for his love he'd shift the planets axis.

And still, even now Kuai was more machine that man, he could see the life still there in his dull eyes. Could still see his beloved longing to be held in his arms again. He would keep going, keep on fixing parts until Kuai was repaired. Until Kuai Liang came back to him.

He would live again.

He bent down, kissed Kuai's forehead like he usually did, one of the few parts of Kuai that were still made of flesh. He swore he saw a spark of recognition in those blue eyes. In his mind, he swore he could hear Kuai Liang singing to him.

“Don't let me go, my darling, hold me safely 'til the morning. Promise, when the lights are fading, you'll save me...”

⊰ Last FicSong Inspired ShortsNext Fic ⊱
⏎Return To Song Inspired Shorts Masterlist⏎