Promise

❥Pairing: Hanzo Hasashi/Kuai Liang
❥Word Count: 1196 Words
❥Rating: Mature
❥Warnings: Canon Divergent Silent Hill AU, mentions of monsters
❥Prompt: Promise - Akira Yamaoka (Silent Hill 2 Soundtrack)

Mirror Links

AO3Tumblr

In my restless dreams, I see that town...

Hanzo stumbled through the streets, trying to make out any landmarks through the thick fog. He kept his katana out and ready, the strange creatures that plagued the town were enough to keep him on edge. Monsters or not, he was here for a reason, and he couldn't stop now.

He didn't know who really sent that letter. It was in Harumi's handwriting, signed by her and everything, claiming she was waiting for him here. Harumi was dead, he was doubtful that this wasn't some kind of trap, and yet he still came, the strange sense of longing and even the small optimistic part of him hoping it was real brought him here.

This town was strange and that was putting it lightly. Aside from the monsters, which in itself was a nightmare scenario, the town was abandoned. There were signs that people had once lived here, but it appeared they had long since left the place behind. On top of that, it appeared to be perpetually covered in a thick layer of fog, Hanzo barely able to see a few feet ahead of him at any time. Then there was the curious case where roads just ended, crumbled away leaving a giant gaping hole in the floor so deep Hanzo couldn't see the bottom.

If this letter was from Harumi, why would she ever call for him from a place like this?

He found himself in front of what looked to be the entrance of a park. It was the first landmark he'd found since he came here. He quickly decided it was worth exploring.

As he walked down the path, he took in the flower beds that lined it. The flowers still alive but heavily overgrown, another sign that this place had long since been abandoned. The echo of his feet hitting the concrete was all he heard until...

He paused.

Somewhere in the distance in front of him, he could hear a soft humming.

Was there someone else in this town?

Was it Harumi?

He continued on, trying to follow the sound, walking just a little faster with a slight desperation to it. As he made his way through the park, he found a walk way that appeared to boarder a lake, a fence at the edge to try and dissuade anyone from jumping into the water. Lent against the fence, was a human figure, the one the humming was coming from. Through the fog, he could not make out any details, but he felt his breathe catching in his throat.

“Harumi?” He called, walking towards the figure, who appeared to turn around at the sudden noise.

The closer he got, the more clear it became this was not his wife, the build not right to be her. Still, this was the first human he'd come across, and any potential ally in this strange place would be welcome. He got close enough that the person was no longer obscured by the fog, and stopped in his tracks when he realised he knew this person.

“Sub Zero?” He questioned, instinctively raising his katana and preparing for a battle. To his surprise, Sub Zero did not get into a similar stance, instead choosing to raise his hands as if to show he was unarmed.

“Scorpion?” Sub Zero seemed as confused by the encounter as Hanzo was. Still even as Hanzo continued to point the katana at him threateningly, Sub Zero didn't threaten back. It seemed Sub Zero had no intentions to fight right now. “What are you doing here?”

“I could ask you the same thing,” Hanzo growled. Just because Sub Zero didn't wish to fight didn't mean Hanzo could let his guard down. There was a possibility that Sub Zero could have been the one to send the letter, but for some reason that seemed even less likely than it being Harumi herself. “I received a letter.” He didn't go into more detail, just watched as Sub Zero finally lowered his hands. “Claiming my wife is here waiting for me... You wouldn't know anything about that, would you?”

Hanzo lightly grazed the other man's chest with the katana, and Sub Zero's hands were once again raised in surrender. “No. I have no idea.”

“So what are you doing here?” Hanzo watched as Sub Zero yet again lowered his hands, reaching one to grip against the railing as he looked out to the lake.

“I...” He paused slightly, blinking as if he was confused by something. “I have been having dreams of this place... Of... Of Bi-Han, standing in fog. I thought if I came here...” Sub Zero shook his head like he had been in a trance, before looking towards Hanzo, his lips pursed. “It is... Strange that we have both been called here like this, is it not?”

“Very,” Hanzo agreed, finally deciding to lower his weapon. He wasn't sure he believed Sub Zero's story, but he guessed having dreams of a dead brother was no stranger than receiving a letter from a dead wife.

There was silence between them for a few minutes. Sub Zero turned his head again to look over the lake, allowing Hanzo to really study the younger man's face. There was a large freshly healed scar running down the right side of his face, across his eye. Hanzo could have sworn that wasn't there the last time they had met, and he couldn't help but wonder just what had happened to cause it.

That brought about the question of just how long it had been since they last faced each other, and how long Sub Zero had been at this town.

“How long have you been here?” Hanzo asked regaining Sub Zero attention.

“About... A day, maybe?” Sub Zero replied. “And you?”

“A few hours.” Hanzo felt a twisting in his gut, because the reality was that if they were to work together it would most likely work in both their favours. “As loathe as I am to admit it, I think it would be better for us to stay together.”

“I... Agree with that sentiment.” He seemed hesitant, but accepting, like he understood completely why they should. “Where should we start?”

“Anything in those dreams of yours that may be important?” He questioned, tilting his head.

“Well, I saw the lake, but there does not seem to be much here...” Sub Zero stated before looking back towards the park. “I believe I saw a hospital in one dream, however.” Sub Zero reached into his pack to pull out a map and Hanzo blinked a few times. “I found this when I got here, it might help us find out way around.”

Hanzo nodded and Sub Zero opened the map. They quickly located the hospital, plotting out several routes should they come across troubles with the collapsed roads. Satisfied, Sub Zero folded the map back up as Hanzo took lead.

He didn't know what it was that had called the two of them to this place, but he'd be damned if he wasn't going to find out.

⊰ Last FicSong Inspired ShortsNext Fic ⊱
⏎Return To Song Inspired Shorts Masterlist⏎