Far Away

❥Pairing: Hanzo Hasashi/Kuai Liang
❥Word Count: 921 Words
❥Rating: Mature
❥Warnings: Fear of a loved one not returning? Being lost? IDK man this one’s pretty tame tbh.
❥Prompt: Far Away - Nickleback

Mirror Links

AO3Tumblr

He'd almost died on this mission.

It was meant to be routine recon in the Netherrealm, and yet it had almost ended in disaster. Hanzo and the small team of Shirai Ryu he'd taken with him had gotten a lot deeper into the Netherrealm than they'd intended. A mission that was meant to take a week took almost two months. It wasn't like he could just warp them all out either, he couldn't guarantee the safety of his team if he did.

Even so, they'd finally managed to make it back to Earthrealm, all in one piece.

But his time away had given him time to reflect. Especially on his relationship with Kuai Liang.

So when he finally, after two months of being AWOL and a couple of days of debrief with Special Forces, managed to make it to the steps of the Lin Kuei temple, he expected his lover to be angry with him, being far away for far too long.

Instead, what he got was Kuai Liang practically sprinting at him and all but tackling him in an attempt to hug him. The force of it sent both of them barreling to the floor with a thud. Kuai clung to him like he was scared that letting go would cause Hanzo to just disappear before his eyes.

“Uh. Hi,” Hanzo awkwardly managed to breathe out. He pushed himself until he was sitting, Kuai still holding on for dear life, head buried in Hanzo's chest. “I... Take it you missed me?”

“I was so worried,” Kuai muttered, letting go just long enough to move his arms around Hanzo's neck. “I was so sure I'd lost you.”

Hanzo stroked Kuai's hair, causing the other man to finally look at him. “Sorry,” He said gently, kissing Kuai's forehead. “Who am I to make you worry so?”

Kuai laughed slightly, wiping away some tears that were now rolling down his cheeks. “I'm just... So glad you're back with me.”

Hanzo let Kuai just hold on for as long as it took for him to calm down. Eventually Kuai's grip loosened, and Hanzo was able to usher him onto his feet. He had a lot to say after all, and he needed Kuai to be in the right mindset for it.

“Kuai I...” He started, seeing the clear concern on Kuai's face as he spoke. “While I have been away, I've had... A lot of time to think... To... Reflect...”

“On?” Kuai was looking nervous, and Hanzo couldn't exactly blame him because this line of wording definitely didn't sound good.

“Us... Our relationship...” He reached for Kuai's hand, physical assurance that it wasn't a bad reflection. Kuai looked confused, but appeared to want Hanzo to continue. “I thought about... How much you mean to me... The thought of not coming home to you killed me inside. You deserve someone who will always come back to you.”

“You did,” Kuai tried to assure him, reaching a cold hand out to Hanzo's face. Hanzo leaned into it, pushing cool fingertips to his too warm skin.

“I love you. Knowing you were waiting for me gave me the strength to go on.” He squeezed Kuai's hands, feeling comfort when Kuai Liang squeezed back. “I would walk through all of hell, just to hold your hand.”

He pulled away, letting go of Kuai, feeling how the other man's hands almost chased after him. He took a deep breath, feeling at the small jewellery box he had in his pocket.

“I do not want to leave you like that ever again, and I want a way for you to know that no matter what physical distance comes between us that I will always be there.” He finally pulled the box from his pocket, holding it tightly in his hands while Kuai eyed it suspiciously. “So with that in mind, there is a question I have to ask you.”

And just like that he was down on one knee. A sudden wave of understanding came over Kuai's face, as he covered his mouth with his hands in shock.

“Kuai Liang, will you marry me?”

There was silence for a tense few seconds, and Hanzo almost wondered if Kuai was about to turn him down until he heard the rough raw sob come from Kuai's mouth. Finally Kuai managed to pull his hands away from his mouth, nodding as he finally managed to croak out “Yes.” Kuai bit his lip and gave a half laugh half whine, “Yes, I will marry you.”

Hanzo took the ring from it's case, slipping it onto Kuai's finger. It was a simple silver band, but he knew that Kuai was not one for fancy things, it was the meaning of things he looked for.

Hanzo stood up, embracing his now fiancé in his arms. Kuai's wrapped around his neck as he feverishly kissed Hanzo's entire face in small bouts. Usually Hanzo would tease Kuai when he did this by mockingly telling him he was smothering him, but right then and there, he didn't wish to spoil the moment. And he couldn't lie he was rather enjoying the affections given.

Kuai pulled back, just long enough to smile through his tears of joy, a wobbly “I love you so much,” escaping from his lips before he was back to showering his lover in kisses.

There would be a lot to plan, but Hanzo was certain of one thing.

He would always come home to his Kuai Liang.

⊰ Last FicSong Inspired ShortsNext Fic ⊱
⏎Return To Song Inspired Shorts Masterlist⏎