Wish We Were Older

❥Pairing: Cassie Cage/Frost
❥Word Count: 388 Words
❥Rating: Mature
❥Warnings: High School AU, Homophobia (Explicit, implied and feared), Fear of being attacked, Fear that homophobia will ever end.
❥Prompt: Wish We Were Older - Metro Station

Mirror Links

AO3Tumblr

Cassie held Frost around the waist, she desperately tried to ignore the pointed looks the other teenagers around them were giving them. She wanted so badly for this night to be good, for both of them. Movie's had lead her to believe that prom was meant to be a magical night where dreams came true.

So why did she want to cry so badly?

She heard a girl to the side very loudly 'whisper' to her friend about how gross this was. She saw the way a few jocks glared them down, hands balled into fists. She saw the way the teachers looked on, clearly uncomfortable by the two girls display of affection, clearly not intending to intervene if something should go down.

Cassie wondered if the rest of her life would be like this? Constantly on edge and fearful that someone would attack her simply for the crime of loving another girl. She would never understand how this could be seen as wrong, while other's hate could be right.

Frost wouldn't look at her face either. That just made it worse. Cassie lifted a hand up to her girlfriend's chin and tilted it up. She tried to offer a reassuring smile, and to give Frost credit, she did try to smile back.

“Hey. This won't last forever,” Cassie tried to reassure her, even if she had her doubts. “Trust me. We'll be okay, things will be better when we're older.”

Frost blinked, a tear rolling down her cheek, as she glanced over at the jocks, looking more and more like they were about to strike. Frost gulped and looked up at Cassie. She looked so sad, and Cassie never wanted her to look that sad ever again.

“I wish we were older,” Frost whispered, leaning her head against Cassie's shoulder.

Cassie could do nothing except hold her, trying to keep the tears at bay, trying to keep how much the school's judgement hurt her. She just kept telling herself that one day, they would both be okay, away from the judgemental eyes of close minded people who would never understand. Of the day when her dad would walk her down the isle, and she looked into Frost's eyes as they both said “I do”.

One day, when they were older.

She wished they were older.

⊰ Last FicSong Inspired ShortsNext Fic ⊱
⏎Return To Song Inspired Shorts Masterlist⏎