Something To Write About

❥Pairing: Johnny Cage/Kuai Liang
❥Word Count: 761 Words
❥Rating: Mature
❥Warnings: Paparazzi, Fluff, First Kisses, Referenced Past Drug Use, I guess Implied Past Addiction?
❥Prompt: Paparazzi

Mirror Links

AO3Tumblr

Johnny was used to this. The Paps were a bit of a consistent presence, and back in his youth he admittedly revelled in it. Even in his worst moments, high and drunk and completely out of control, he saw that all publicity was good publicity. No matter who got hurt, if he was in the limelight, it didn’t matter.

Years of working for the safety of Earthrealm, being a husband and a father, had left him not wanting the limelight as much. He’d cleaned up his public image though, even if some people on social media would never let him live down his wilder days.

Overall, walking out of his apartment to find Paps surrounding the entrance was not unusual. Usually there was a specific reason for them being here, but today, he couldn’t think of anything in particular that he’d done to attract them.

That was until he felt Kuai Liang peering over his shoulder, and the Paps gasped and whispered when they saw him.

Oh shit.

Johnny kept himself between the crowd and Kuai, not entirely sure how the poor man would react to suddenly finding himself having cameras shoved into his face. Johnny should have planned this better, and should have known that he wouldn’t be able to have a date without the Paps catching on. He glanced behind him to check Kuai wasn’t looking too freaked out. Instead he looked curious.

They wouldn’t leave until they got what they wanted, the best Johnny could hope for was they could get to his car without much hassle. He reached for Kuai’s hand, before gently guiding him through the door. Maybe grabbing Kuai’s hand wasn’t the best idea, because the second that they were out, the shutters of the cameras began going off at intense speed.

“Sorry about this,” Johnny whispered to Kuai, trying to navigate through the crowd. “I should have warned you.”

“Why are these people here?” Kuai asked, giving a dirty look to a particular person who was clearly attempting to get too close for comfort.

“They’re paparazzi,” Johnny gently explained, letting out an annoyed grunt when a group stood right in front of them and blocked their path. “Basically they follow around famous people looking to take photos and stories to sell to tabloid newspapers.”

“Oh. I don’t exactly see how you walking out of your apartment is worth writing about,” Kuai commented as Johnny managed to convince some of the crowd to part and they might get through to his car.

“Uh, dunno how to tell you this babe, but…” Johnny paused and looked at Kuai’s concerned face. “They’re here cause you’re with me.”

“Because I… Oh.” Kuai’s free hand went over his mouth as his cheeks began to go slightly pink. “Because we’re dating?”

“Afraid so, Blueberry Ice.” Finally they were at Johnny’s car, but it was then he realised he had to get his keys too. Oh goddammit.

“It feels like an awfully dull thing to be writing about, two men holding hands,” Kuai commented looking back at the Paps. His mouth quirked slightly as he lent towards Johnny and said “we could always give them something to actually write about.”

“What do you me-“

As Johnny turned to face Kuai he was cut off when he found the other man's lips pressing against his own. As quickly as it happened, Kuai was pulling away, a triumphant smile on his face. Behind them, Johnny could hear the Paparazzi lose their minds over this turn of events.

Johnny didn’t say anything more, partially because he had found his keys and was concentrating on opening his car, and partially because this was the first time Kuai had kissed him. He felt his heart racing and his own face begin to heat up.

Holy fuck, holy fuck, holy fuck.

Finally he managed to get his car open, slipping inside while Kuai went around the other side and got in as well. With the doors closed, Johnny just sat in the driver's seat for a few seconds, trying to compute what just happened.

“Did you just want an excuse to kiss me?” Johnny asked, finally looking at his companion, while putting his key in the ignition.

The smirk on Kuai’s face said the answer was yes, even as he said “I will neither confirm or deny that accusation.”

Johnny just snorted and laughed under his breath, putting his foot on the peddle and driving off. For the first time in forever, he actually couldn’t wait to see what the tabloids said about this turn of events.

⊰ Last FicShort FicsNext Fic ⊱
⏎Return To Short Fics Masterlist⏎