Unexpected Twist

❥Pairing: None
❥Word Count: 613 Words
❥Rating: General
❥Warnings: MK1 Spoilers, Scorpion!Kuai Liang, Pyromancer!Kuai Liang, Fluff, Power Awakening, Bàba Zero is trying his best, This is Scorpion Kuai propaganda
❥Prompt: N/A

Mirror Links

AO3Tumblr

“Bàba, look what I can do!”

Sub Zero looked up from his paperwork to watch as Kuai Liang ran into the room. He was 6 years old now, around the age where his cryomancy should be starting to come through. He held his breath and smiled, eagerly awaiting to see if indeed Kuai’s cryomancy was finally taking form.

Kuai held his little hands up in the air, his face scrunching up as he did his best to summon his new abilities. Sub Zero didn’t say anything, wanting his son to do this by himself. Finally, there was a small flash, as magic finally erupted from his hands.

Except… that was not ice.

Inside Kuai’s palm was a small flame, flickering away like a lit candle.

“Look! My ice is orange!” Kuai seemed blissfully unaware that what he held in his hand was pretty much the complete opposite of ice.

Sub Zero could only stare in shocked silence, trying to wrack his brain as to some explanation of how this could have happened. His bloodline had been one of cryomancy for generations, and as far as he remembered, his late wife had no inherent magical abilities that could offer an explanation.

“I can also do this,” Kuai announced, quickly turning to his left, and putting the flame directly under the room's curtains.

Unfortunately, Sub Zero had not quite realised what Kuai was about to do until the curtain set ablaze. He scrambled out of the seat, grabbing Kuai around the waist with one arm, while summoning a thick layer of ice to douse the flames. Kuai giggled the entire time, not grasping the danger he’d just posed to them. Despite Sub Zero’s delayed reaction, thankfully the damage was minimal.

Sub Zero let out a relieved breath, before shifting his arms until Kuai was comfortable and in front of him. Kuai clapped his hands in triumph, clearly very proud of himself. Weirdly, Sub Zero was proud of him too, even if he was a menace. Even if this entire debacle raised so many questions.

“Kuai Liang, could you show me again?” He asked gently, wanting to see it one more time, slightly closer up this time. “Cup your hands together, and let the magic flow to them.”

Kuai nodded confidently. He cupped his hands together, that same look of sheer concentration gracing his features. Eventually, the same thing happened again, and there in Kuai’s hands was a flame. Sub Zero smiled, this was in no way something he ever expected, but it was what was happening. He would just have to find a way to help navigate his son through this strange new power.

“Grandmaster!” The door slammed open and Hydro stumbled inside, looking extremely panicked. “We believe we’re under attack, we’ve found fire’s all over the temp-“

He stopped speaking when he noticed the small flame in Kuai Liang’s hands.

“Stand down, Master Hydro,” Sub Zero replied, trying not to laugh. “I suspect the attack came from within and have apprehended the culprit.”

He shot Kuai a glance, and he still looked far too happy with himself.

“I… see…” Hydro sounded as shocked as Sub Zero had been. Still he straightened himself out. “I will… Uh… Go and aid the efforts to fix the damage.”

Hydro bowed to him, before turning to leave. Sub Zero redirected his attention back to Kuai Liang, who had put out the flame and was now looking at his father with bright eyes. The child needed guidance, and even though Sub Zero wasn’t sure he would be enough, he would do everything possible to do so.

No matter what, he would always do his best to support his child.

Ice, Ice, Smoke And FireNext Fic ⊱
⏎Return To Ice, Ice, Smoke And Fire Masterlist⏎