Share Your Burden, I Will Carry It, A Refuse All Around You

❥Pairing: Hanzo Hasashi/Kuai Liang, Past!Sektor/Kuai Liang
❥Word Count: 5472 Words
❥Rating: Explicit
❥Warnings: Secrets, Past Relationship(s), Past Toxic Relationship, Implied Past Abuse, Arguing, Jealousy, Sex Tapes (Well kinda if you could watching someones memories as sex tapes), Past Brainwashing/Mind Control, Some fucky past beliefs about relationships, Anger, Rimming, Past Sex, Fire, Grief/Mourning, Disassociation, Body Image, Make Up Sex, All Sektor/Kuai is in the past, Trying to move on from the past, Grieving for someone you know was bad to you.
❥Prompt: Secret

Mirror Links

AO3Tumblr

Something was off.

Usually Kuai Liang was all smiles when Hanzo came to visit the Lin Kuei. Today hadn’t really been different, but Kuai’s smile wasn’t his usual one. It looked forced, like he was in pain and trying to hide it. It wasn’t just that either, his whole demeanour was off today. His body a little stiff, his jaw and hands clenched, his reactions slow like he was a million miles away.

It was all just off.

Due to Kuai’s prior commitments to his clan, it took a few hours of witnessing this odd behaviour before Hanzo got the chance to ask, when he’d finished up the training session and let his students filter out. Given how quickly everyone was trying to leave, Hanzo wasn’t the only person to notice the strange tension in the air. Hanzo approached, placing a hand on Kuai’s shoulder and earning a jump of surprise. Kuai looked at Hanzo with a questioning look on his face.

“Kuai Liang, is something wrong?” Hanzo tried to not sound too pushy. Kuai was the sort of person who got extremely closed off if you tried too hard to get them to talk. It had to be gentle. “You’ve not seemed yourself all day.”

“I’m fine,” Kuai tried and excuse with a wave of his hand, but even that all seemed half hearted. “I’ve just got some things on my mind, it’s nothing you need to worry about.”

“Maybe it would help to speak about them? Get them off your mind?” Hanzo offered, and felt disheartened when Kuai shook his head.

“There is no need, this is just a me issue.” He moved Hanzo’s hand off his shoulder, offering a small bow. “I need to go catch up with a few of my generals, as always make yourself at home Hanzo.”

Before Hanzo could argue his point, Kuai had turned on his heels and was halfway across the courtyard. Right. Something was definitely going on and it wasn’t just things on his mind. But how Hanzo was supposed to approach this, he had no idea.

“So, gonna assume you have no idea why he’s in a weird ass mood today either?” An unfortunately familiar voice question. Hanzo turned just in time for Frost to come and stand by his side, hands on her hips. “He’s been acting peculiar all day. He’s not even lectured me once.” Hanzo’s eyes narrowed and she spared him a glance. “He’s sad about something, rather than angry.”

“You deduced that from him not lecturing you?” Hanzo questioned.

“He lectures me a lot,” she said with a shrug, “and when he’s angry they’re more intense. He only avoids it when he’s sad.”

Hanzo honestly didn’t realise that Frost paid that much attention to Kuai Liang’s feelings. She always seemed indifferent and resentful whenever Kuai showed emotion. If he weren’t so concerned about his boyfriend, he’d maybe see the humour in Frost’s assessment of Kuai’s mood hinged on if he was nagging her or not.

“Any ideas what he could be sad about?” Hanzo asked, as loathe as he was to admit it, if anyone in the Lin Kuei had answers it was probably her.

“Not really. Nothing’s happened that I’m aware of.” She rubbed her chin with her hand like she was thinking. “It’s not the anniversary of Bi-Han’s death because he’s not frozen himself in his room.”

“He… freezes himself in his room on the day of Bi-Han’s death?” He hadn’t known that. Kuai had never mentioned it, and Hanzo had always elected to leave Kuai alone on that particular day. As much as he loved Kuai Liang, he really did not think the presence of Bi-Han’s murderer would help.

“Yeah, it’s really bad” she said in a drawn out way. “It’s not the anniversary of someone else’s death is it?”

“Possibly.” He could think of three people it could be, Tomas, Cyrax or Kuai’s Grandfather. Given the rest of Earthrealm’s allies usually held a memorial on the day of the majority of it’s warriors deaths, he decided he could rule out Tomas. “Logically it’s either Cyrax or his Grandfather.”

“Not Grandfather,” Frost claimed, “he has a whole ass ritual for that, and he’s not done it.”

“So… Cyrax?” Hanzo concluded, and Frost’s face twitched and she shrugged again.

“I guess.” She didn’t sound all that convinced. “Like don’t get me wrong, I know they were close and he does grieve for him, but I dunno, this feels like something more.”

“It was also the day he faced the old Lin Kuei,” Hanzo pointed out, that might add to this episode. There must have been something soul destroying about obliterating everything you once knew.

“Yeah but… they were all clones by that point right?” Frost finally looked at him fully. “I can’t see him being too sad about that.”

“Well, the only other person there that day was Sektor.” Hanzo wanted to laugh at the idea he had anything to do with Kuai’s mood. If anything, he would be celebrating the death of that bastard. “And I doubt he’s this bent out of shape over him if all people.”

“Well I mean,” Frost bit her lip and crossed her arms over her chest, “there is always Sektor’s cybernetic memories.” Hanzo wasn’t sure what she was talking about. “If something more happened that day that we don’t know about, something with him and Cyrax, or even Sektor himself, it would have been caught, right?”

Hanzo paused and thought about it. That was absolutely true, if Sektor still had the memories that revealed the truth of Quan Chi’s deception, then he’d definitely have them from that day. Kuai had told him about the events from his point of view, but maybe Kuai was omitting the really bad parts.

But was going through Sektor’s memories really the answer? It felt underhanded, going behind Kuai’s back like that. If Kuai found out, would he ever trust Hanzo again?

“You seem conflicted,” Frost noted in a dull tone. “I mean, the option is yours, but that’s one way to get answers.” She flipped a strand of hair out of her face. “I can’t really help you with that. Anyway, I’ve got work to do.” She lazily waved, “later, Shirai Ryu Dog.”

Hanzo just rolled his eyes. Just because Frost wasn’t outright aggressive anymore, didn’t mean she was any more pleasant toward him. He decided it was easier to just let her make her snide remarks and insults rather than engage these days.

His thoughts went back to what she had said however. He was reluctant to take things that far, going snooping through Sektor’s memories to find an answer to a question that might not even exist. On the other hand, would Kuai ever actually admit what was wrong? At least if Hanzo knew, he could figure a way to gently help him, without letting on how much he really knew.

He took a deep breath, and despite his reservations, set off in the direction of where Sektor’s cybernetic head was safely stored away.

There was nothing immediately obvious in Sektor’s memories of that day that stuck out to Hanzo.

It seemed his memories kept recording even after Kuai had taken his head. He saw the last conversation between Kuai and Cyrax, and while it was definitely depressing, there wasn’t anything he wasn’t already expecting in there. He jumped around the encounter a bit, trying to find any strange incidents. There was a moment he found uncomfortable, where Sektor reached to grab Kuai’s chin, his metalic fingers digging into Kuai’s skin. It was far too intimate and almost possessive, and he hated the jealousy that began to swirl inside him.

He felt guilty about that. There was nothing about the gesture that should have earned that reaction from him. Yet there was a twisting in his gut telling him this was somehow the something more, but still not the full answer. Not quite anyway.

So he decided to go back in Sektor’s memories.

All the way back, back to when he was an early adult. He skimmed memories, skipping around without much purpose in the hopes of catching something to explain this strange instinct that had come over him. Things were just about as he expected, daily life in the Lin Kuei, discussions with his father, Bi-Han and Cyrax. None of these revealed anything. Until finally, he found a memory of Kuai Liang.

It was strange, mostly focused on Kuai’s face. It was always bizarre to see his husband looking so young, no grey hairs, or wrinkles, or that scar. But that wasn’t the strange thing about it. Kuai was panting, like he was doing something physically strenuous. Hanzo couldn’t figure it out for the life of him.

Until a moan came from Kuai’s mouth.

“What?” He muttered. No. No no no, that isn’t what’s going on here, it can’t be.

There were two hands on Kuai’s torso, suddenly flipping him over onto his stomach. Sektor’s gaze trailed down, sweeping along Kuai’s back and down to his ass. Hanzo wanted to vomit when he saw Sektor’s dick, poking at Kuai’s entrance before slowly pushing in. Kuai groaned again, causing Sektor to look up, wrapping a hand around Kuai’s mouth.

“Shut up! Do you want to get caught?” Sektor’s grip tightened and Hanzo saw Kuai shudder.

Mouth drying up, Hanzo watched in horror as he witnesses his boyfriend and enemy fuck like their lives depended on it, Sektor pounding Kuai into the mattress until they both reached their peak.

It was a one off. It had to be a one off, there was no way that Kuai Liang slept with Sektor more than once.

Right?

He wound through the memories, more throughly this time. Every so often, he came across another memory, another time Kuai and Sektor were intimate with each other. Sektor with Kuai against the wall, his hands around Kuai’s neck, Kuai on his knees and sucking Sektor off, the pair of them hiding in a secret area of the temple, Kuai riding Sektor. God, any position Hanzo could imagine them in, he found the evidence of them doing it.

He felt his world going hot. A burning smell as his rage boiled over into real flame. How dare Sektor think he even had the right to touch Kuai Liang? Let alone have sex with him? Jealousy was taking over, the desire to fucking strangle Sektor was unbearable.

Kuai Liang kept this from you.

That sudden thought did nothing to quell his anger. Why the hell had this never come up? Why was this not one of the first things Kuai had told him? Yes, Hanzo always knew Kuai had been sexually active in the past, he was far too skilled in that aspect of his life for him to have not been, but he would have never in a million years thought this was the answer. Not with fucking Sektor of all people.

It wasn’t a one time thing either. Maybe that he could understand, but this was multiple times over multiple years. No way it was just a fling, it was a full fledged relationship.

No amount of deep breathing and calming reaffirmations would help.

He needed answers.

He stormed back out into the corridor, on the hunt of the only person left to give him them.

He slammed open the door to Kuai’s room, too hot with anger to acknowledge the way Kuai jumped at the sudden intrusion.

“Hanzo, what the hell is going on?” Kuai asked as he stood up from his desk. Hanzo didn’t reply, just shut the door, even in his rage he was still aware that if anyone over heard them it wouldn’t be good. Hanzo just stood and seethed, and Kuai began looking extremely uneasy. “What’s wrong?”

“I know,” Hanzo hissed, and Kuai had the gall to look at him with confusion. “I know about you and Sektor.”

Kuai’s face dropped, he opened his mouth like he wanted to say something to defend himself but nothing came out.

“Do not try to deny it.” Hanzo took a step forward and was even more frustrated when Kuai took a step back. “I saw you in his memories. I know.”

“Hanzo-“

“Why the fuck didn’t you tell me?” Hanzo demanded, every step he took Kuai took several more backing away from him. “You were fucking Sektor, and you never thought that was something you should tell me about? What is wrong with you?”

“I didn’t-“

“And don’t try to say it was a one time thing, I saw you, it was multiple times!” By this point Kuai had backed himself against the wall, Hanzo only barely managed to comprehend how terrified he looked. “I trusted you! I told you all about my relationship, but you couldn’t do me the same dignity? You had to let me find out through Sektor’s sordid memories?”

“That-“

“Just fucking tell me why!” Hanzo slammed his hand down against the desk, watching as Kuai flinched like the fist had been in his direction. “I have told you everything why would you keep this from me?”

Because I’m ashamed!”

Hanzo actually paused at that. It was amazing how just one sentence was enough to break through his anger and frustration. Kuai was shaking against the wall, lip wobbling and eyes full of tears, although he was looking away from Hanzo.

“I’m ashamed that I ever loved that bastard. And you can’t compare our past relationships, you just can’t!” Kuai wasn’t shouting, but god his voice sounded wrecked like he had been. “You married a woman who loved you with all her heart.” Kuai’s eyes finally met Hanzo’s as he choked out, “I fell in love with the man who ruined my life.”

There was a tense silence, but Hanzo let all the anger go, his fire extinguishing. Kuai pushed himself away from the wall on shaking legs, just about making it to his bed. He perched on the edge, putting his head in his hands and letting out a loud sob.

“Kuai Liang, I-“

“I’m sorry,” Kuai interrupted, before Hanzo could say his own apologies. “I’ve wanted to tell you, but I didn’t know how.” Kuai took a deep breath, but it seemed to do nothing to ease him down. “I was afraid this was how you’d react.” Kuai tried to wipe at his eyes. “I’m sorry this is how you found out.”

Hanzo didn’t know what to say. He hated that he’d made Kuai’s fears a self fulfilling prophecy, even if he knew he had every right to be angry, and Kuai seemed to acknowledge that too. Yet now, he couldn’t feel that way. Those words had been so raw, referring to Sektor as the man that had ruined his life. How shamed Kuai was by his own emotions. Hanzo only saw the sex, saw red, and came on the offensive. He didn’t delve into what the relationship was like otherwise, and if there was a more insidious reason Kuai had been reluctant to talk about it.

“I’m just upset you never told me,” Hanzo said, trying to keep his voice calmer now.

“I know.” Kuai finally looked up, there were tears streaming down his face. “The more time went on, the harder it became. I could just never find a good way to do it. A good way to say without upsetting you.”

There was silence again, Kuai bowed his head placing his hands behind it, tangling his fingers into his hair. There were still answers Hanzo wanted, and it seemed Kuai was finally going to talk, so there was no time like the present.

“So… Is this why you’re so upset today?” Hanzo asked, not really sure what he wanted from the answer. “It’s the anniversary of when you killed him?”

“I always struggle on this day,” Kuai admitted, keeping his eyes on the floor, like he just couldn’t bare to look at Hanzo. “I always start the day mourning Cyrax, promising myself this is his day because he did so much for me and deserves my respect, and I feel so guilty that Sektor manages to worm his way into my head every single year.” Kuai rubbed his eyes, trying to scrub away the tears forming. “I always remember, how when I went into that building, despite all the terrible things he’d done, I still loved him.” Kuai hiccuped, a sob and laugh at the same time. “That’s so fucking stupid isn’t it? He hurt me, and if I’d failed he would have hurt me again. Yet I was still a lovesick fool for him.”

“Do you still love him?”

“No,” Kuai answered quickly and forcefully. Despite being a little quick to answer, Hanzo believed this was the truth. “But, for some reason, I just get caught up in how I once had those feelings. I just think back, and go over things that happened, what I did wrong.” Kuai shook his head. “Like if I’d done something differently, if we’d run away together years ago, if I’d loved him more, loved him better… Could things have had a different ending? Could I have saved him from turning into the terrible person he did?”

“Kuai Liang,” Hanzo said softly, slowly approaching Kuai, and sitting next to him on his bed. He placed a hand on Kuai’s shoulder, hating how Kuai flinched as he did. “You did nothing wrong. There was nothing you could have done. Thinking of the past like this is dangerous.”

“I know, I try not to.” Kuai looked like he considered leaning against Hanzo, but went against it. Hanzo had a feeling that in this moment, Kuai was denying himself comfort because he didn’t feel like he deserved it. “I keep it locked away, but on this day, it all seems to spill out for some reason.”

Another silence came across them, thankfully not as tense anymore, but still suffocating in it’s somber tone.

“You know I used to think that was just what love was,” Kuai started. He still looked like he wanted physical contact from Hanzo, but was also uncomfortable with it. Hanzo decided to hold off for now, not wanting to push Kuai while he was already struggling. “Arguments and fights, turned to lust and sex.” He laughed bitterly, “I used to think it was normal for only one partner to say I love you.”

“Do you think he loved you?” Hanzo questioned, that emotional connection seemed one sided from Kuai’s perspective. From Hanzo’s it felt like Sektor just wanted someone to fuck and use as a punching bag.

“I don’t know,” Kuai admitted. “Maybe. There were times where he… was nice to me.” Hanzo couldn’t help hissing at that. That Kuai had been so mistreated he thought someone occasionally showing him kindness was the same as someone loving him. “When he converted me, there was… a line of code.”

Bile began to gather in the back of Hanzo’s throat as he asked, “what line of code?”

“I was programmed to love him.”

Oh, if Sektor was still alive Hanzo would have been out the door and hunting the fucker down so he could rip him apart.

He buried that anger though, Kuai was already shaken, and he didn’t want to scare him back into keeping all these things secret. Hanzo did cave on the physical contact however, wrapping his arms around Kuai and pulling him into the tightest hug he could. Kuai relaxed against him.

“There was this sick part of me that used to think, if he didn’t love me, why would he want me to love him?”

He didn’t love you, Hanzo thought, wanting to scream it from the fucking mountains. Anyone who loved you wouldn’t do that to you!

“He should not have done those things to you,” Hanzo muttered holding Kuai a little tighter, like if he didn’t Kuai was going to fall from his grasp. “I’m sorry I was angry my love, I did not mean to scare you. Thank you for opening up to me now, I know this wasn’t easy.”

“I am sorry, I really messed up not telling you sooner.” Kuai pushed away, just enough to look up at Hanzo. “You are the only person I’ve been with who treats me well. I was scared if you knew how much he broke me, that you would hate me. I did not want to lose you.”

“You aren’t broken, and even if you were I’d never hate you,” Hanzo softly replied, kissing the top of Kuai’s head. “Does anyone else know about this?”

“Only Johnny.” That surprised Hanzo. Not because it was Johnny, he knew that despite outward appearances, that the two were close. More that Johnny had been able to keep his mouth shut about something like this. “It was before we were together. We were talking about my experience in the cyber initiative and it just came out.” Kuai rested his head on Hanzo’s shoulder. “If it makes you feel better, he’s been nagging me about telling you for a long time.”

Hanzo wondered if he should feel a bit pissed that Johnny knew and hadn’t told him. Reality was, he was thankful that Johnny was such a good friend. He knew it wasn’t his place to bring up such a thing, and tried to coax Kuai into doing it himself. He made note to buy Johnny a beer at a later date.

However, this did make him realise something else Kuai had never really talked about.

“We’ve never talked about your experience as a cyborg,” Hanzo gently prompted. Now felt as good a time as any, given everything else they had been talking about.

“I know, it’s because it’s hard to explain what it was like,” Kuai softly muttered, nuzzling into Hanzo’s neck. “I was in this body, made out of metal and it wasn’t mine. I couldn’t feel anything other than pain, not even the heat or wind.” Hanzo agreed, that did sound like a hard thing to explain. “It was like I was a parasite, piloting a body that I’d infected.” Hanzo gently rubbed circles in Kuai’s back. “Even now, sometimes, I feel like this isn’t my body. Not really.”

“Why do you think that?” Hanzo asked, trying not to let off just how concerning he found that sentiment.

“This body is the one that Quan Chi rebuilt. So, can it really be mine?” It was depressing that Hanzo understood that logic. “And I keep finding these flaws on my body, marks that weren’t there before, scars and redness, bruises, and it just makes me believe that this body really isn’t mine, because mine didn’t have these flaws.”

If Hanzo was completely honest, he had no idea how to help with that. He reached down and pulled Kuai’s face up to his, kissing him softly. Kuai sighed into the kiss, wrapping his arms around Hanzo’s neck. Hanzo moved to gently kiss down Kuai Liang’s neck, earning a purr from him.

“You have endured so much,” Hanzo muttered against Kuai’s skin, mouthing at his throat. “I wish I could take away all the pain that has been inflicted on you.” Another kiss. “You are perfect, no matter what form you take. Allow me to make up for my initial reaction.”

“Should it not be me making it up to you?” Kuai said in a tired tone.

“You already have by being honest with me,” Hanzo explained, and it was true. At least in his mind as he was no longer angry at Kuai. The anger that remained was now squarely on Sektor, and his hatred for that asshole had reached new heights he didn’t know were possible. “And it is clear to me that right now, you need my reassurances more than anything that I may want.” He guided Kuai until he was on his back on the bed, Hanzo looking down at him, still trailing kisses along his collarbone. “Allow me to show you how much you mean to me, how much you deserve to be loved, and how you have always deserved better than this world has given you.”

Kuai nodded, and Hanzo went to give him one last kiss on the lips before he began to go lower. He pulled Kuai’s shirt up, immediately kissing down along his chest. Hands wandered to his pecs, feeling and the muscles, and pinching his nipples. Predictably Kuai ached his back, and whimpered.

“So sensitive,” Hanzo laughed, before closing his mouth around Kuai’s nipple and gently sucking. Kuai gasped and went to reach for Hanzo’s head, pushing him closer. Hanzo purred, his tongue swirling around.

“H-Hanzo,” Kuai groaned, squirming already. Hanzo pulled away, he wouldn’t torture Kuai like this, not today.

He continued to kiss down his Kuai’s torso, taking care to kiss every inch. Kuai’s body was a temple, and he was here to worship. Kuai’s writhed under him, sweet noises spilling from his lips. He didn’t want to think of Sektor’s memories, not right now, yet he couldn’t help observe how different Kuai’s sounds were. Hanzo was the only person who could make Kuai sound so sweet, so content. No matter how he felt about Kuai’s past relationships, these sounds were proof that Hanzo was the one Kuai had chosen above all others, and the one he felt most comfortable being vulnerable with.

No amount of force and control could make someone love like this.

Hanzo’s hands were hooking into Kuai’s pants, pulling them down and off. Kuai was already half hard, and Hanzo marvelled at how Kuai’s body reacted to his touch. Hanzo licked up along Kuai’s shaft, taking in the head and softly sucking on it. As he teased at Kuai’s cock, his hands reached for those perfect thighs, gently parting them.

He released Kuai’s cock, letting it fall against his stomach. He shifted further down, throwing Kuai’s legs over his shoulders. He mouthed at Kuai’s thighs, earning more of those angelic noises. Kuai’s hands went to find the headboard. Hanzo’s mouth reached Kuai’s entrance, lapping the flat of his tongue against it. He felt Kuai buck and tense for a few seconds, before relaxing, at which point Hanzo licked again and Kuai’s reaction repeated.

Cute~

He didn’t work his tongue in straight away, spent what felt like forever just licking around the rim, teasing Kuai and watching how hard the man was getting. Hanzo ran a hand down his navel, feeling it sticky with precum. As his hand reached for Kuai’s cock, he finally relented and pressed his tongue inside. The sharp intake of breath and the way Hanzo felt Kuai’s legs begin to tremble was all the confirmation that Kuai was enjoying himself he needed.

Hanzo began to stroke Kuai as his tongue pushed in deeper. Kuai was muttering to himself, bucking into Hanzo’s hand while simultaneously trying to get more of the feeling of Hanzo’s tongue. Some words Hanzo understood, his name, pleas for more, but other times Kuai was just lapsing into Mandarin. Despite the language barrier, he could tell they were words of pleasure from the tone. He sounded breathless, his pants even but heavy.

“Hanzo,” Kuai gasped as Hanzo’s mouth sealed around his hole and he sucked. “Ah! Hanzo please.”

Hanzo briefly pulled back to ask, “what do you need, snowflake?”

He didn’t wait for Kuai’s reply before his tongue was working it’s way back inside.

“Hanzo, I’m going to-“

Kuai didn’t finish his sentence, cutting himself off with a loud groan. Hanzo already knew what he had been about to say. He doubled his efforts, swirling his tongue inside and speeding up the jerking of his hand. It didn’t take long for Hanzo to feel Kuai reach his limit, Hanzo’s hand becoming wet as he came. Hanzo pulled away, sitting upright and watching as he finished wringing the orgasm out of him.

Kuai lay there, bleary eyed and panting up at Hanzo. There was only one word on Hanzo’s mind.

“Beautiful,” he whispered, crawling over Kuai and leaning over him once again. “You are so beautiful.”

Kuai blinked, tears escaping his eyes as he did.

“I don’t deserve you,” he croaked, he was smiling despite everything. “You’re the best thing that’s ever happened to me, and I don’t-“

“You do,” Hanzo said in a low rumble leaning down to once again claim Kuai’s lips. “I will spend the rest of my life proving to you that this is the love you deserve.”

“I’m sorry.” Kuai’s hands finally released the headboard, reaching to wrap around Hanzo’s shoulders. “I’m sorry.”

“Shh,” Hanzo whispered, moving so he was on his side next to Kuai Liang, pulling him close. “You’re okay. I’m here. I will always be here. I won’t leave you. Rest, love, you need it.”

He spent the rest of the night, holding Kuai to him, stroking his hair, and whispering assurances into his ear, until Kuai finally fell asleep.

Hanzo awoke with his arms still around Kuai. Kuai’s eyes were half open, like he’d only just come around himself. They stared at each other for a few moments.

“Good morning,” Hanzo finally greeted, “how are you feeling?”

“Relieved,” Kuai admitted quietly, “for having the truth finally out there. For you still being here.”

“I promise I am not going anywhere,” Hanzo sighed softly, and lent to kiss Kuai’s temple. “There are still questions I have, but they can wait. I’m glad getting this off your chest finally has helped you.”

Kuai was quiet, shifting so he was sitting up against the headboard. Hanzo stayed in his position, although propped his head up on his hand.

“There is still one more thing I want to tell you about now, though.” Hanzo felt his heart drop a little. What more could there possibly be? “I have a trunk. It’s in the wardrobe.” Hanzo had seen the trunk before, but he’d left it alone, figuring it was just extra storage for Kuai’s clothing. “It has some of Sektor’s old belongings in it.” Hanzo felt himself shift slightly, although he hadn’t really meant to. “I had no intention to keep them, but as times gone on, they’ve just sort of stayed there, because I can’t bare to look at them long enough to dispose of them.”

Hanzo pushed himself off the bed, walking over to the wardrobe. He opened the doors, and saw the trunk. He grabbed it and pulled it out. It was absolutely covered in dust, so Kuai’s claim’s of avoiding it were true at least. He considered opening it, having a look to see if there was anything useful in there. As he looked across the room, Kuai was pointedly not looking in his direction anymore. Clearly just seeing the trunk was bad enough, no point pouring more salt into the wound by routing through it.

Besides, he had a feeling he knew why Kuai had brought it up.

“Do you want to dispose of it?” He asked, and Kuai Liang nodded his head. Hanzo stared at it, trying to think the best way to get rid of it for good. Well, it is wood. And wood did tend to make good kindling. “Do you want to burn it?”

Kuai pursed his lips for a second, before lowly replying “yes, I think I do.”

They didn’t say another word. They both took their time to wash up and get dressed, and once they were ready, Hanzo hauled the trunk in his arms. He silently followed Kuai through the corridors, the only words spoken was Kuai to a few members of his clan, asking that the courtyard be left empty for an hour or so, and that he would give the word when it was okay to go back out there.

Hanzo set the trunk down in the centre of the courtyard, waiting for Kuai to stand a safe distance away. Kuai just stared as Hanzo lit a fire in his hands.

“Last chance to back out,” Hanzo claimed, as Kuai took a deep breath.

“Do it,” replied in a resolved tone. Hanzo did not have to be told twice.

Hanzo held his hand out, waiting for the flame to take to the wood. When he was sure it was alight, he moved his hand away, and walked to stand beside Kuai. The trunk started burning, flames spreading along it’s structure. Kuai watched intently, his face blank but tears welling in his eyes. Hanzo reached out and took his hand, immediately noticing how tightly Kuai held it.

“Are you okay?” He asked, even though he already knew the answer.

“Yes,” Kuai whispered. An obvious lie but not one Hanzo was willing to call him out on right now. “Good riddance.”

Good riddance indeed.

They didn’t move, until the fire stopped burning, and the mementos of Sektor were nothing but ash.

⊰ Last FicSubScorp Week 2022Next Fic ⊱
⏎Return To SubScorp Week 2022 Masterlist⏎