I'll Take You For Who You Are If You Take Me For Everything

❥Pairing: Hanzo Hasashi/Kuai Liang
❥Word Count: 1212 Words
❥Rating: Mature
❥Warnings: Past Abuse, Implied Referenced Abuse, Scars, Scar Stories, Bit Angsty, Bit Fluffy, Protective Hanzo Hasashi, Self-blaming, Self Victim Blaming, Implied/Referenced Torture
❥Prompt: Scars

Mirror Links

AO3Tumblr

Kuai could feel what Hanzo was doing, and he wondered if the other man thought he was being subtle or that it wouldn't be noticed. They lay facing each other, entangled in an embrace. Hanzo's hand was trailing down Kuai's back, following the scars with his fingertips and tracing the patterns they left on his skin. They'd never really talked about them, never really discussed the cause of them, mostly because it was rather clear who was responsible for them.

"You can ask, if you want," Kuai finally said, placing a hand on Hanzo's chest as if to offer reassurance. "I can tell you want to."

"I do, but I think I have a vague idea of what they're from," Hanzo muttered, following a particularly large scar that ran from Kuai's left shoulder down towards his right hip. "They feel..." He grunted, eye twitching, "They feel like they were from a whip."

"They were," Kuai confirmed. Honestly, Kuai was actually impressed that Hanzo could tell that from just feeling them.

"There's more than I thought there were," Hanzo stated, hand still feeling at the marred flesh. It was delicate, almost as if Hanzo feared touching too roughly could split and reopen the wounds.

"I don't know what to tell you," Kuai stated, "10 lashes was the average punishment for just about anything, from failing to follow the rules to defying orders. I did both of those a lot." He thought back to those days, when he was reckless, rebellious and desperate to defy the elders at every turn. He knew what the consequences would be, and he still did things that pushed his luck. "To be fair, I knew what would happen, so I did rather deser-"

"Don't," Hanzo lowly warned. Kuai felt his mouth open, tongue dry and unsure what to say. Hanzo brought one of his hands to grab Kuai's chin. "Don't you dare say you deserved what they did to you." Kuai swallowed thickly. "There is nothing that could justify the way you were treated."

Kuai knew that Hanzo was objectively right about that, but it wasn't really what he meant. No, there was no justification for the torture he went through. That still didn't change the fact Kuai purposefully challenged the rules despite knowing the ramifications of doing so. Hanzo would not see it that way, however, so it was likely better for Kuai to just agree.

Hanzo's hand was still at his chin, but his thumb went to stroke the scar on Kuai's face. "Well, that one you already know the story of." It was still a sore point that it was Kano, of all people, to give him that one. Not only had he managed to get a hit on him, but also he'd effectively snuck up on him. In the grand scheme of things, it was an injury he should have been able to avoid with ease.

"I will kill Kano for daring to lay a finger on you," Hanzo grumbled, and Kuai chuckled slightly.

"So protective dearest," Kuai teased, his hands reached to Hanzo's torso, now his turn to touch and feel at his lovers scars. He traced one that ran across from Hanzo's shoulder blade to his pecs. "Am I allowed to ask?"

"Hm, none of mine are that interesting to be honest," Hanzo admitted, though gave a weirdly satisfied sigh. Kuai was sure it was mostly that Hanzo enjoyed any excuse for Kuai to touch him. "That one was from a battle between myself and an Oni in the netherrealm."

Kuai hummed, his hand now caressing Hanzo's bicep. Partially to find another scar he knew was there, but also because Kuai loved to admire them. It was strange how weak he was to a nice pair of biceps. And Hanzo's were particularly nice. If you asked Kuai what his favourite part of Hanzo was he'd insist that every part of the man was his favourite. He was sure that if he was given enough alcohol however, he would eventually admit how much those muscular arms made him swoon.

Eventually he found the scar he was searching for, it was small and circular and Kuai traced the edges with his finger.

"And this one?" He questioned.

"One of my oldest, actually, I got it during my first mission with the Shirai Ryu," Hanzo explained with a shudder, though if it was from Kuai touching the scar or something else was not clear. "I got a little bit cocky, and took on more enemies than I could take."

"You? Being cocky? Never!" Hanzo gave Kuai an unimpressed look, but he gave away how disingenuous it was when he lent forward to give Kuai a kiss instead. Kuai's hand continued to trail down his arm. There was a long scar down Hanzo's forearm. "And, this one?"

Hanzo blinked, cheeks going slightly red before he pushed his head into the pillows and mumbled something. Odd. He didn't seem angry or upset about the scar, more embarrassed.

"Pardon?" Kuai questioned, watching as Hanzo looked back up, face screwed up.

"I fell up some stairs," Hanzo flatly stated, trying to seem neutral but failing dismally given the bright red of his cheeks.

Kuai felt his mouth twitch slightly. The image of such a big and tough warrior, who had seen hell and fought many with fire in his veins, falling up the stairs was amusing. And gaining a scar from something so mundane? Hilarious. A small drawn out snort escaped before he could stop himself.

"It's not funny," Hanzo playfully reprimanded. Kuai covered his mouth with his hand for a second, trying to keep his composure.

"It's not, I'm sorry," he agreed, gently patting Hanzo's shoulder. The image of Hanzo tripping on the stairs entered his head again and he gave another short snort. He stopped himself, right up until he saw Hanzo's face. The other man was looking at him with disappointment in his eyes and for some reason, that was enough to set Kuai off. He spluttered a bit, before finally his laughter just erupted from him.

"Will you stop," Hanzo grumbled, but not without his own laughter under his breath. It just made Kuai cackle harder, so much that he couldn't breathe, snorting every so often too. "Stop laughing at my clumsiness!" Hanzo reached around to grab Kuai and pull him closer. Tears were now forming in Kuai's eyes, rolling down his cheeks. "You are a complete and total menace."

Kuai managed to get out "but I'm your menace."

"Yes, you are." Hanzo lent in to kiss him again, not minding how spluttering and uneven it was from Kuai's laughter. Hanzo rested his forehead against Kuai's, patiently waiting for him to calm down. Eventually, Kuai gave a few heaving breaths, and he relaxed enough for just a barely audible giggle. "I do love to hear you laugh, even if it at my expense."

Kuai snuggled his face into the crook of Hanzo's neck. "Hm, maybe one day I'll tell you one of my embarrassing stories and let you laugh at me." Kuai smirked against Hanzo's skin when he heard the huff. "Love you," Kuai said in a cutesy innocent tone, and he felt Hanzo kiss the top of his head.

"I love you too, Snowflake."

⊰ Last FicSubScorp Week 2021Next Fic ⊱
⏎Return To SubScorp Week 2021 Masterlist⏎