Haunt Me

❥Pairing: Hanzo Hasashi/Kuai Liang
❥Word Count: 875 Words
❥Rating: Mature
❥Warnings: Paranormal AU, Human/Ghost relationship, Death, Grief, Implied Murder, Mention of blood, Séance, Ouija board, Ambiguous ending
❥Prompt: Haunt Me - Wednesday 13

Mirror Links

AO3Tumblr

The house was silent aside from the gentle hum of the refrigerator in the kitchen. It only served to emphasize the loneliness that Hanzo felt. Once this place had been a home, full of love and life, but all that disappeared a long time ago.

Kuai Liang was dead, and on that day, everything else just seemed to go with him.

He strode through the darkness, not bothering to turn on any of the lights. He knew the house enough to be able to navigate to his destination without running into any objects. Even in his own self pity, he was still meticulously clean. If Kuai were still here, he wouldn't dare walk around in the dark, the other man constantly got distracted in the middle of tasks and left the strangest objects just lying around the place. Hanzo had often accused him of secretly trying to kill him by making him trip and break his neck. He chuckled despite himself, remembering Kuai's declaration that if he were trying to kill Hanzo he'd be a lot more upfront than that.

Little had either of them known that it would be Kuai who was claimed by death first.

His laughter faded. Still he'd made it to the back room, where he'd cleared out almost everything besides an old coffee table that was a wedding gift from Bi-Han. It had been a good will gesture, he and Hanzo had never exactly seen eye to eye, and the attempt to mend that had meant the world to Kuai. It was perfect for what Hanzo was about to attempt.

He placed down the canvas bag next to the table, before settling himself down, legs crossed on the floor. Opening the bag, he took out a wooden box. Carefully opening it, revealing a board that lay within, he took it out and unfolded it onto the table. He'd been warned by the vendor to not use the Ouija Board alone, something about dangerous spirits using the board to communicate, but he couldn't do this with anyone else. He needed to do this alone.

He set the planchette down next to the board, avoiding placing it until he was ready to start. He placed the box to one side, before diving back into the bag. He pulled out two packs of candles, one blue and one red. He had intended to just use the blue ones, given that was his beloveds favourite colour, but the previously mentioned vendor had insisted that spirits were drawn to red candles. It sounded ridicules in Hanzo's mind, but he'd gone along with it just in case it was true. Even if the colour red still left him feeling uneasy.

Red. Like the blood that had covered the bedsheets the day Kuai had been stolen from him.

He shook his head and buried the memory. He took the blue candles out first, arranged them around the board, before reluctantly taking the red ones and placing them in between the gaps. Satisfied, he reached back into the bag, placing down the box of matches next to the planchette. The bag now empty, he discarded it, reaching instead for the necklace around his neck. A pair of wedding rings, the rings he and Kuai had exchanged on their wedding day, his embedded with a sapphire and Kuai's with a citrine. He traced the golden bands with his thumb, eyes trained on the citrine, remembering how easily it slipped onto Kuai Liang's finger.

He placed the necklace just above the Ouija board, reaching for the matches. He struck one, quickly using it to start lighting the candles. Everything now set, he reached for the planchette, placing it down in the middle of the board, placing his hands loosely on it. He tried to remember what the vendor had told him to do, but his mind was drawing a blank.

On top of that, he got the sudden feeling like he was being watching.

Taking a deep breath to ignore the feeling in his chest, he opened his mouth to ask, “Are there any spirits present?”

Silence.

He stared at the planchette with an uneasy silence, waiting for it to move. He closed his eyes, unsure why he'd even believed this would work in the first place. It had been silly of him to believe that he could speak with his husband from somewhere beyond the grave.

Then he felt something, something that felt like ice-cold hands covering his. He opened his eyes, there was nothing there but the feeling persisted. Then the planchette started to move. He felt his heart beating in his chest, watching as it along with his hands were moved towards the letter “h”. He wasn't doing this, even subconsciously he wasn't doing this. He withdrew his hands and the cold feeling disappeared, but still the planchette slowly made it's way towards the letter “e”.

He watched, as it continued it's movements, slowly spelling out a sentence. It took all of Hanzo's strength to continue to follow and not let his mind drift away out of shock.

The planchette finally finished it's journey, and Hanzo had to blink the tears stinging his eyes away as he realised just what had been said.

“Hello, my love.”

⊰ Last FicSong Inspired ShortsNext Fic ⊱
⏎Return To Song Inspired Shorts Masterlist⏎